System of A Down, Any Good?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, May 7, 2005.

1. Ive heard alot about how awesome these guys are and the Mars Volta seem to like em, so I figured Id check em out. Are they any good? If so , what albums do I get first? Thanks folks.
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    no. I can't stand them, the guys voice is migraine inducing...anbd well the music that accompanies it too. Mars volta= awesome however. I'm going to see them thursday :p
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just cut out the middle man and listen to Faith No More.
  4. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    pick up their self-titled if nothing else.
  5. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001

faith no more were pioneers. not many know about them but almost every band you hear today sounds the way they sound because of faith no more. :bassist:
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I love SOAD. I can't wait for their new CD.
  7. who is faith no more?
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    A band that Mike Patton joined in 1989. If you are serious, go buy Angeldust and The Real Thing; both are great albums.

In response to your question Page, their first album was cool for detuned pop metal. But every subsequent album is worse than the last.

Their newest is to guaranteed to either suck or break the band up. The git player's ego is expanding at an extreme rate; writing songs in seclusion from the band, writing bass parts for the bassist (supposedly he has always done that), partially taking over singing duties with his awful voice, and basically trying to make the band revolve around him instead of trying to work as a cohesive unit.
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Damn, I'm officially old. :meh:
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ahhh kids these days and their damn music! A lot of people don't know about Faith No More... it's sad really. They've influenced just about every "pop" metal band since they released "The Real Thing" but they get no love. :( Angel Dust still blows me away. The Real Thing gets on my nerves because they made Patton do the annoying "bratty" voice during a majority of the album.

SOAD? I caught them on SNL a little while ago. Hmm, the guitar player really is becoming more and more lame. He was singing almost the entire time. :( Rough stuff.

First album is great. That really is the only SOAD you'll ever need.
  11. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    self titled and Toxicity were good albums but I picked up Steal this CD and it was just rubbish. I heard the new single and it was alright, I've heard better but it's a good party tune.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Was the single what they played on SNL? I dug it... until they hit the chorus... I remeber the chorus being really bad. Something about "Going to the party" or something.

The singer dude needs to regrow the moustache... he looks like Sammy Hagar without it. :eek:
  13. Self Titled and Toxicity albums both rock....
    Steal This Album is just filled with the songs they couldn't/didn't wanna fit on Toxicity, and its not brilliant but worth a listen just for the hell of it.
    Saw System at Reading a coupla years back and they blew me away. :cool: :D
  14. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
  15. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    +100 my man. we`re getting really, really old. :D
  16. Not quite true

However it is true that alot of influencial bands are skipped by most of the main stream, not sure if thats good or bad really
  17. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I like SOAD and I like Faith no more.While I can see SOAD(and a bunch of others) have been influenced by FNM I wouldn't say that if you like SOAD or others you'll definitely like FNM.Know what I'm getting at?
  18. the song they played was B.Y.O.B. it's thier official single, a song called Cigaro was leaked out on KROQ a while back, I agree with you I'm not feeling that courus, I just hope the album wont be filled with anti-bush liberal crap.