System of a Down "Cigaro"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    SoaD has just release a song of of their unreleased album "Mesmerize/Hypnotize"
    It's a darker version of System that is quite new. Some of the songs flavor is borrowed from the Opera "Figaro" The lyrics are not unlike system (blatant and challenging). I like it personally, what do you guys think of it?
  2. I'm not very impressed, they can do better than that.
  4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    It's all over the place, that's for sure. Serj only sings the chorus, the rest is sung by the guitarist I think.
  5. I like it. It's heavy without being a bunch of downtuned chords the whole time, which is one problem I had with older System songs. Very cool.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    As I understand it, the guitarist seems to be taking over the band. He sings lead quite a bit, and even played bass on all but 3 tracks (out of 30 songs!). I think he's a talented writer, but this doesn't bode well for them.
  7. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    The Guitarist only sings "My **** is much bigger than yours" alone. Everything else is Serj or them both in harmony.
    And unless Shavo couldn't play bass on those songs, I betting those are silly rumors. Unless I hear it in an interview, I'm not believing that.
  8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Eh, I heard this like 2 days ago, their other stuff is a hell of a a lot better than that... And Mezmerize and Hypmotize are separate albums their releasing this year.
  9. Yeah...Shavo is pretty dissapointing if he only wrote/played 3 :meh:

I do really like Darian though,great musician.
  10. I think it's heading away from the Nu-metal sound. Which is a good thing, this was kind of a more straight up metal/rock song.

I liked it. Could have done better with it, but it was still pretty good.
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, it was in an interview in Guitar World magazine.
  12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, I remember reading a few times that Darian actually writes all of the basslines (or did, anyway), but this song just blows... Can't complain about their previous stuff though. Serj doesn't even sound the same in this, AWSOME singer though.
  13. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I think that this song it pretty cool. It always takes me a little while to really get into System's stuff but I'm looking foward to their new album(s).
  14. Wow, I actually like this.
  15. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I won't comment until I've heard the record. Kind of reminds me of what they did between self-titled and toxicity.
  16. it doesn't beat some of their songs from toxicity imo, but it sounds like your average SOAD to me. it sounds like just about every other song they did...not saying thats bad, personally i am amused by SOAD, so its not a bad thing to me...i still like the toxicity cd the best so far...
  17. I was too into my punk phase back then to ever buy Toxicity and I haven't listened to much of Steal This, but I recently gave their old self titled a spin and I forgot how much I liked it. Great record.

The kombucha mushroom people...
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, they need to get back to the eponymous tunes. Know was a great track, as was DDevil and some others. Toxicity was by and large terrible.
  19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  20. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas