System of a down/The Mars Volta tour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Just picked up my tix for the columbus show next month.....anyone caught a stop on this tour yet? This is my first real concert I have been to in probably 10 years!

I have heard lots of good things about mars volta, but haven't heard anything from them yet. Any reccomended listening?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would say the Frances the Mute would be the better place to start. It is more cohesive as an album and I feel it is better than Deloused.

Both have amazing moments. And both have ambient filler.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    im prob goin to that
  4. System of a Down and Mars Volta seems like a wierd mix for a tour.
  5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i am going next friday in philadelphia.

i'll post a review when i get home.

although. i am in the pit. so im not sure how much i'll rmemeber

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

You guys really do get all the good line-ups, don't you?

How much do the tickets cost?
  7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Cool, I've been wanting to see the Mars Volta for awhile.

Contrary to Abark's rec, I'd reccommend starting with "Deloused in the Commatorium." Great album! Fances is cool too, but a little hard to swallow w/ all the ambient effects weirdness. I prefer deloused. I think it's a better overall album. ;)
  8. Going tomorrow night and really lookin foward to seeing them both...System isa band I gotta see and Mars Volta should be fun to see too. So I'll try to keep it straight to give ya'll a review!!
  9. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Just got tickets for next Sat. in Worcester, MA. I'm psyched...but whats up with an $8.35 per ticket "conveinece charge"? I didn't find that extra $25 very conveinient :scowl:
  10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It's a ripp-off. I bought a ticket for dEUS (worldfamous in Belgium :D ), which costed me something like € 30 , plus an additional € 7 administration costs! Because it is extremely expensive to have a site automaticly register your order! :scowl: Stupid *****
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    That's the first thing I thought when I read this. The Mars Volta is going to make System look bad....every night. Do they have the same management or something???
  12. joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    Yeah, I love Mars Volta, but I don't like SOAD(or their legions of Nu-metal wannabe fans). For this reason, I didn't go to the show. I heard MV rocked in P'Cola last night though.
  13. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    when is that tour hitting columbus?

for some reason I thought that tour was only on the west coast.....

14. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I saw them last saturday. It was a pretty awesome show. The Mars Volta was playing way too loud to sound decent. The voice and guitar just kept mixing and you couldn't tell them apart. SOAD came on and played reasonably loud but still sounded great. They had a very tight set with about 3 or 4 songs from every album. Serj,the singer, still likes to make up some words but overall the band isn't as sloppy as I heard they used to be.
  15. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I thought the same thing...check ticketmaster cause alot of dates are not on the mars volta website.
  16. doesn't seem like a weird tour to me. mars toured with apc. and while apc to me is alot better the soad. still wasnt weird. mars volta IS a mainstream band whether or not you think so. and there fans are almost twice as annoying as any apc fan. and its not true we get better tours. europe has some awesome tours. ala apc/deftones a couple of years back.
  17. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Anyone see this tour yet?

I'm going tomorrow and I'm very psyched to see the Mars Volta :hyper:
  18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Could you have a look at Omar's effectpedals? I heard he has like 200 of them; a double floorboard and a table next to him, all stuffed with effects.
  19. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I saw them last Friday. Mars Volta had me sitting in pain waiting for their set to be over. The guitarist never stopped playing for even a second,, and the constant background effects were way too loud. Other than that, not too bad. :p (Note: this was the first time I had ever listened to the mars volta)

System of a down was amazing. I don't really listen to them much nowadays, but I used to be a huge fan and have been waiting to see them for a couple of years. The setlist was incredible, including many good songs from Mezmerize, and everyone's favorites from past albums (I would've loved some more from Steal This Album!, such as Streamline, but they did play Mr Jack). Know, Deer Dance, ATWA followed by Forest, Daron's cover of Sultans of Swing leading into Aerials, etc.. and Suite pee and Sugar as the last two songs! :eek:
  20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan