Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SYSTEM OF A DOWN

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by touchofgrey549, May 13, 2003.

1. hey guys im tryin out for this band and the drummer really likes system of a down, but knows I dont. are there any AWESOME bass solos by them that i can learn to impress those guys?
    :confused:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    SOAD...awesome bass solos...ummmm... I don't think those words belongin the same sentence. At any rate, don't worry about playing crazy hard/cool solos to get a band to accept you- at the least listen to a little SOAD and get a feel for the groove and spend an hour or whatever to really get a few of their m0ore popular songs down. If you hold the groove and can mesh with them, they will be "impressed". Happy bassin'.:bassist:

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Uh, system of a down is not very heavy on the bass solos, or the bass at all. Though I am a fan of the band, I can't really think of any impressive bass solos Chavo has ever done.

Also this should not be in basses, but rather miscellanous.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yep.

5. ThunderbirdIV

ThunderbirdIV

Apr 14, 2003
    The band have publically denounced the use of solos in a band before. Both Shavo and Dean hate the idea of the guitar solo as a separate part to a song.. although they do like to be diverse.

Listen to the albums. You'll notice that the bas playing is quite simplistic but commonly at very high speed with a pick. Listen to some cool intros which you could easily rustle up on bass.. ie. Spiders.

Cheers

James

6. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    For SOAD, just learn D minor and C minor runs with a pick at high tempos. Nothing more to learn than that.

Peace