1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

T-16 vs Octabvre Mini - Tracking

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bonesy85, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Bonesy85

Bonesy85

Oct 9, 2017
    So I am on the fence, ready to purchase an analogue octaver specifically for sub sounds (I already have a taurus dexter for polyphonic stuff and higher octaves) and I've narrowed it down to two possible suspects: Cog Effects T-16, and the 3Leaf Audio Octabvre Mini.
    I'm hoping to get some insight from players who have put some time in on one or both of these pedals. After some searching around I can't seem to find any real solid info on the tracking ranges of these two pedals. Both boxes offer the sub sound I need for my board, so the deciding factor on which I buy will be which can track the lowest notes. Thanks!

*Edit: Forgot to mention, I am primarily a 5string player

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have no experience with the Cog, but I hear really great things. I use an Octabvre, the full size version, as my go-to octave effect these days and it tracks brilliantly. Tracks better than any of my previous octave pedals, and sounds better as well. I think you'll be hard pressed to go wrong with either pedal.

3. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Both track really well in most scenarios. The T16 is heftier in toan, and can also be more bright with the filter open.

The 3Leaf Mini would be my go to Octaver if I didn't love the SubT so very much.

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Wellllllll now that you mention 'tracking the lowest notes' I think it's going to be sort of luck of the draw. Any analog octave-divider circuit is going to track roughly down to the same range of notes - generally good down to G or Ab on the E string, with varying results below that, none of which are super solid. Both the pedals you mention are good quality octavers, with very good tracking, but they'll run into very similar limits on the bottom end of picking up notes.

Ikkir and Jakeman like this.
  5. Bonesy85

Bonesy85

Oct 9, 2017
    I knew I'd get some answers here! I decided to go with the Octabvre Mini for now. Who knows though, my GAS may drive me to get a T16 at some point as well. Thanks yall!