1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

T-40 - a versatile bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 18, 2008.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've done a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Is a Peavey T-40 a versatile bass? I've always been attracted to the vintage looks, and I've listened to a couple of videos that make the T-40 sound pretty good, but it is tonally versatile? Would it be suitable to have as your only bass? Good for rock, r&b, etc?

Thanks!

2. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    I think it's a pretty darn versitile bass. While you'll never get hi-fi tones like today's preamped basses you can do enough by using the phase switch and the coil tap tone knob thing to make anyone looking for a vintage sound happy.

I dont get exact P Bass tones or Jazz Bass tones which is a good thing in my mind. The T-40 is truly its own animal but an animal that I don't ever plan on parting with. If I HAD to only have one bass, it would be one of the top contenders for sure.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You can have two humbuckers, two single coils, single-coil/humbucker, orhumbucker/single-coil setups. I can get mine to sound like a Pbass AND a rickenbacker. Has a phase switch as well to make it sound like you are coming out of a tinny radio (not the most useful feature I've seen). All done passively, so yes, it's quite versatile! :D

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'd say you could pull off just about anything with it, with the exception of a really hi-fi sound.

5. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    I had two of them. For a cheap bass (you can pick them up for next to nothing) they sound great. You can also use them to anchor up to a medium size yacht if you don't like the sound.

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    i have found them to be very versatile-- you can get a lot of sounds out of one, and most of those sounds are pretty good, too.

7. As versatile as you could want.

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Anyone ever try a body transplant?

Like swamp ash or something lighter?

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Most every TB thread on the T-40 describes it as a "tone monster", which translates as "very versatile indeed" as far as the sounds you can get out of it. For a passive bass, its range is remarkable, and it lends itself admirably to various rock genres and older R&B. Think of it as rivalling a Precision for applicability. You're likely to run out of playing styles before the T-40 gives out on usable sounds. That said, slappers haven't found it ideal, because the front pup is pretty close to the fretboard.

10. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Picking them up for 'next to nothing' is fast becoming a thing of the past... a few lately on eBay have gone a fait bit past the $500 -600 mark and other are starting off over $400.... If you want a dead mint one be prepared to pay...if you want just a player, accept some wear on it but even those are starting to climb.

And sound wise? As was stated above. They are "tone monsters".

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    There's a guy who lives 15 minutes from my house who is selling this one for $275:

IMG_6992.
    IMG_6993.
    IMG_6996.

This isn't the first one I've seen in this kind of shape on Craigslist in my area - I live near Seattle. I just don't have the cash and was debating selling my current bass to get the T-40, but that would be silly because I got this one for $400:

Picture023.
    Picture022.

I'll probably just save for one. I just heard this tone: Alvaro playing T-40, and I've got to have that tone! Apparently he has it running direct into his computer sound card and has it strung with stainless rounds. That's the classic rock tone of my dreams!

12. I'm in the process of buying one right now and I can't wait! For those of you guys that get a rick sound do you run the neck single coil mode and bridge humbucker? Details please? Dang I'm getting ansy.

13. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I just got one last month for $100 on craigslist. Just amazed at all the tones available. Use it with my $75 samsamp BDDI!!
    These are the 2 best deals that I have ever gotten. My wife and I plan to do some long term RVing and these are coming with me and the expensive stuff is staying home.

Thou a lot of owners don't like the phase switch but I get some very unique sounds with the phase on and the BDDI drive turned up.

14. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    $275 is a good price for that bass but I agree that you should hang on to the Millennium J.

15. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    fourstringbliss, for that price and in the shape its in, I'd jump on that one. The wood grain is nice and Ive noticed that the interesting wood grained ones on the bay go for a fair bit. Email the seller and see if you can work with you on payment!!

16. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Jump on the T-40 my good friend!!!! they are going up in price and you will surely make your $$$ back if you do not love it!!! I loved mine (had it for 20+ years) and regret getting rid of it!!!! I wanted a natural and ended up with a VERY NICE gloss black!!!

As for the millenium, IF you can afford it, buy the Peavey and keep the Millenium....

only negative is the weight...but - you play in church - just sit down and play!!!!

Good luck!!!1

Doug

PS - as stated previously - your daughter is a REAL DOLL!!!!

17. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
  19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    ...and I didn't even touch the phase switch yet! :D The millenium is a beaut, I'd hang on to it no matter what.

20. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I can get almost all of the tones I want from the Millennium and my Zoom B2. I'm definitely getting a T-40 someday, though. I'm a definite Peavey convert.