SOLD T-40/ Decade'ish Dual Darkstar Frankenbass (Without Darkstars) Price drop and wiling to part-out!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Eilif, May 1, 2018.

1. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Price:
    $325
    Strings:
    $325 Shipped Con USA. Will ship elsewhere for an upcharge
    EDIT 5/30 Price drop

Part-out prices on this listing:
    For Sale - T-40 neck, custom body and other parts

EDIT 5/20 I've pulled the bridge and lowered the price again. $325 shipped sans pickups and bridge.

Selling this to help fund a 35" instrument to house my beloved Darkstars. It's entirely complete and even well setup except for the lack of pickups. I've not measured but in addition to Bisonic pickups I'm fairly certain this will fit T-40 humbuckers, MudBuckers or similar sized pickups. The cavities are large enough that Bisonic pickup poles can be oriented toward neck or toward bridge.

Weight is 9 pounds on my bathroom scale (weight myself with and without the bass). This was a joint project between myself and Tom Chesski of "Redemptionbass" 9 years ago and it that was perfected (bridge and pickup positions adjusted) and setup last year ago by Jerry at Players Guitars in Worth, IL.

As an interesting anecdote, Dan Lakin himself played it (when it had Darkstars) at a Lakland GTG and proclaimed it to be like the original Decade Prototype!
    20180501_092330.jpg
    20180501_092404.jpg
    The parts are as follows:
    -T-40 neck that has been refinished in satin poly. Very smooth and strait with nice fretwork. With the satin finish and slightly slimmer refinished profile this may be the fastest non-shaved T-40 neck ever. The face of the headstock was also satnized to remove the gloss finish and better match the body.
    -Custom 2-piec Mahogany body built by Redemptionbass. I filled the grain with colored tinted filler and finished with many coats of hand-rubbed poly. It's a looker!
    -CTS Pots and vintage-style Radio Shack knobs.
    -Badass II bridge
    -Custom Aluminum nut.
    -T-40 tuners and neck plate.
    -Oak veneer control plate taken from an antique desk.
    -Will ship well-packed an I'll throw in a crappy bag with a broken exterior pocket zipper. Just so you have something to keep it in.
    20180501_092623.jpg
    20180501_092518.jpg

Flaws:
    -There are two sets of mounting holes for pickups. The larger holes are the ones you want to use.
    -There are a few of dings in the body finish and a bit of buckle rash though they are mostly quite hard to see in the satin finish. I've included pictures of all of these below this ad.
    -There are a bunch of dings on the rear edge of the headstock. No idea how they got there, but I didn't bother sanding them out.
    -I substituted 2 screws on the tuners. They are the correct length and thread, but the heads don't match exactly.
    -Gouge on the top edge of the fingerboard. Doesn't affect anything, but it's there.

So, it's all ready for whatever pickups you'd like to install. It's a great player but I'm sold on 35" 4-stringers now. I'm only willing to entertain offers on parting it out if I can sell the body first as that's probably the most specialized part.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    cataract likes this.
  2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Do you still have that neck??

3. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I do indeed. You want it?

4. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Maybe so. My burst T-40 would look better with rosewood. Let me chew on that for a bit.

5. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Cool.
    If you just want the neck and not the hardware I could knock a few bucks off. Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021