T-40, Look! Help me determine its value!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaebird, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Jaebird

Jaebird

Aug 22, 2010
    PA
    Im working a CL barter and this is one of the pieces Im looking at. Its a T-40, which according to Wikipedia, serial number 01486648 is an 83'.

The body, neck and fretboard are in great condition, but the pickups and bridge need some cleanup.

A set up is $15 at my local shop, new strings $20, and to clean up the pickups and bridge... ? Maybe $35?

Ive never seen this red color T-40, so Im wondering if this is a less common color? How desirable it is?

No OHSC, aluminum nut, tuners, headstock, neck and body are in GREAT condition.

Assuming the cleanup/setup costs $70, what would you say the value -$70 would be?

IMG_20130814_144436_263.jpg
    IMG_20130814_144447_062.jpg
    IMG_20130814_144501_080.jpg
    IMG_20130814_144505_839.jpg
    IMG_20130814_144509_115.jpg
    IMG_20130814_144548_698.jpg

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well I can't comment on the finish. I've never seen one personally, but that doesn't mean it's not original.

But it looks like it's in good condition, so I'd say $400-$450 which is what T-40's seem to go for these days. The sunburst models sometimes go for $500-$550 because I think those are more rare. The price on them has been going up.

3. You only pay that much? My local music stores will charge $35 just for the strings!

4. Jaebird

Jaebird

Aug 22, 2010
    PA
    They charge $15 for the setup. I figure Ill throw some $20 strings on for now and let the new owner (Yes, Ill be selling this eventually) put whatever strings their heart desires on it.

As for the cleanup.. I really have no clue how much it will cost. The store says they can clean up the pickups and bridge, but the rusty screws may stay the way they are, unless someone knows of a way to get replacement screws?

5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The finish is original. Early 80s worth 300-400 bucks.

6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Great basses! Can't comment on value; I bought an sold mine for much less than the numbers thrown out here, but that was 15 years ago.

But...that stringing job is killing me. You've got to rescue this one.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lately they go for 300-500 regularly. I just sold a natural finish one in amazing condition for 400.

8. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    It's missing a string and one of the remaining ones is crooked.

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Yeah, the g string is nearly off the edge of the fretboard.

10. I will never be able to unsee the winding job on the A string.

11. Jaebird

Jaebird

Aug 22, 2010
    PA
    Haha, you guys crack me up. Yeah shes a bit hard to look at, but if I make the trade Ill have her looking pretty.

It's been sitting for over 20 years in a farmhouse. A little TLC will go a long way.

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Strung like that? You will want to check the neck to make sure it's not twisted or warped. Leaving uneven tension on the neck like that can do bad things especially over 20 years.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Retail. Little bit high for a buyer's price in this color/condition.

14. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I know this isn't in any way helpful, but I'm amazed at how many screws have been used on the pick-guard.

15. FuManChu

FuManChu

Mar 3, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Wow, that is a cool color. I had the traditional natural finished version years ago. You probably already know this, but these things are boat anchors. Probably 12+ lbs. if I remember correctly.

16. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    This is in fact the original color - I had one in the same red some time ago.

FWIW, the solid color t40s are usually made of alder, and are typically lighter than their ash counterparts.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's wonderful news! :p

18. butcher

butcher

May 24, 2011
    Yeah, something is wonky about the string positioning of the remaining strings and the nut looks to be slid over in the other direction on top of it - unless it is just sliding around and had slid to the treble side when you took the other picture.

If the neck is straight and not warped I would say that CL value would be about $250-300 maybe less especially since you don't have the case which is usually with these.

I have had two of the natural ash ones (still have one) and they really are great basses. You can still get the owner's manual at Peavey which is useful because the electronics are quite unique. I also had the T-60 guitar which is great as well. Sold them a few years ago before the prices jumped on them - hindsight....

http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80370017.pdf

19. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Jul 8, 2013
    The lack of OHSC is a factor that will limit value. If it were me, assuming you're dealing with a local yokel... between that and the ages-of-barn-neglect factor, I would walk away for anything over $200. I'd probably push aggressively for something lower than that.

It's not that it's not a (potentially) great bass, it's more that from the content of the original post, you're obviously thinking of actual resale / flipping value before you even buy. If that's the way you're going, you better go for "guaranteed to at least break even," and from my own experience values on T-40s still fluctuate much more than has been suggested here.

Conventional wisdom is that a T-40 is "always" worth $300-450 these days but I only managed to get $280 out of a very nice natural '79 on eBay last fall (pre-ridiculous fees of course). That was WITH the HSC and a complete recent pro setup job. I'm still mad about that auction, and I'd be even more angry if I hadn't had only $150 in it.

20. butcher

butcher

May 24, 2011
    Great point. Buy, play and love price is different than buy, fix and flip price.

BTW - what are you bartering for this little gem?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021