Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

T-40 : Need help with a price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Hi all,
    There is a T-40 in a pawnshop nearby, and it's been there for maybe 6 months now. It looks in good shape, except for the neck which would need a bit of tuning. (I couldn't play it, as there are no amps in the store. But they offer a guarantee, if anything is defective.)

I've heard those basses before, and love the sound. So I'm wondering how much I should expect to pay for a used one.
    Considering it'd need a trip to the luthier for the neck, can anyone suggest a reasonable price ?
    Or are there any particular factors I should look for that would influence its worth (such as the year or the types of p-ups, if there were different models maybe...) ?

As it is, they're selling it 400$ CAD (305$ USD). But those guys always start with high prices. And, considering it's been there for a long time, I figure it shouldn't be too difficult to lower it to something more reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

2. BCinU

BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Florida
  3. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Wow, quick answer. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm looking around and you seem to be right : a 250-300$ range seems to come up a lot.

4. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Were there different models at all ? -Passive or active p-ups, for example ?
    And if so, how did they compare ?

5. BCinU

BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Florida
    I think they are only passive. My guitar player picked up a matching sunburst T-60 and T-40 set from eBay for $400. I played the T-40 a couple times, and was impressed with the range of tones (most not really to my liking, but some were nice). Most impressive was the power of those humbuckers. It's about as powerful as any passive bass I've played.

The trade-off is that it's a cinderblock. Play it sitting down. ;)

6. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    HI, the price ranges you're hearing are pretty much right on at $250-$300 US. Wouldn't go any more than that for it. Great bass though. I had one and made the mistake of trading it away. Yeah, it's heavy as hell and the neck sometimes felt akin to a baseball bat, but the range of tone and power was absolutely incredible. Wouldn't want it as my main ax, but would love to have one back in the arsenal if I come across when all the planets are lined up right (at the right price when I have the funds). Good luck.

Hammer!

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There's one in Atlanta for about $195.00 USD.