T-40 Truss Rod Tool?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. TheEmptyCell

    TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

    Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, I need to give my Peavey T-40 a little set-up the next time I restring and give it a thorough once-over, but sadly the last owner did not include the truss rod adjuster or allen wrenches.

    I see there are two different truss rod wrenches on Stewmac: 1/4" and 5/16" Gibson style. I'm guessing I need the 1/4", but before I go out and buy one at the hardware store, I'd like to know for sure.

    Also, what size allen wrench do you use on the bridge? All I have are metric, and they aren't working, so I'm guessing this US made beauty needs a US sized wrench.

    Thanks a bunch!
  2. cb56


    Jul 2, 2000
    I'm looking at the same thing for my newly aquired Guild Pilot5. Every other bass I've owned took an allen wrench but the Guild needs something more like a nut driver. The 1/4 inch one you talked about. If your T40 trussrod looks like it will take an allen wrench then that's what you need. If it looks like it needs a nut driver then the one you saw at stewmac is probably the one. Might not hurt to fire off an email to peavey and see what they say.
  3. lug

    lug Supporting Member

    Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Last I checked, you could still order them from Peavey for something like $5 to $10.
  4. I used a 1/4" drive deep socket ( can't remember the size) with an "allen wrench" shaped handle.
  5. TheEmptyCell

    TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

    Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I e-mailed Peavey, and they did say they sold the correct wrench, but did not say what size. Sounds like 1/4'' is right for the job.
  6. ldervish


    May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    I bought one from Peavey for my DynaBass, p/n 75031006, it is a 5/16" socket-type (female), very thin walled. Their term is "Torsion Rod Wrench". Don't know if the same one will fit the T-40, but a phone call would verify.
  7. keyboardguy

    keyboardguy Supporting Member

    May 11, 2005
    Yeah, call them. It's about $5 and worked fine in my T-40 when I had one. Nice people too those Peaveyites....

  8. anybody have one of these tool's lieing around they arent using for a man who has no way of ordering one from them (lack of credit card) heh
  9. keyboardguy

    keyboardguy Supporting Member

    May 11, 2005
    I've posted here a while back; Peavey is/was out of stock.

    Do you have a local music store nearby? I went to mine and they had a box of maybe 100 different allen wrenches and nut drivers.

    We found one that fit, and he gave it to me! Gotta love (and support) your local music store.....


  10. oy, gata carry this thing around now lol, the closest music store to me is scam ass and thats a 45 minute walk from me
  11. SMG

    SMG Supporting Member

    Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Older Peavey's use a Gibson style 5/16" wrench. Guild's use a 1/4" wrench. Both are available from stewmac.com.
  12. went throug my drill bit kit and found the piece, but i couldnt use it with my drill so i had to use some plyers to twist the drill bit heh, either wya, straightened the neck, yay, action still isnt as low as id like it, and the jack is still messed up, but its getting there
  13. when i e-mailed them about thet tool, i got this as a response:

  14. keyboardguy

    keyboardguy Supporting Member

    May 11, 2005
    ""he correct part # is 75031006
    $18.99 each
    to order please call us toll free @ 877-732-8391, all major credit
    cards are taken"""

    Yep. They have em now. And it's $18.99. Fits my Foundation perfectly (T-40's) also.

  15. TheEmptyCell

    TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

    Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I managed to get one (cheaper) at my local shop a couple months back. But thanks for the help guys!
  16. Sorry for the old thread revive, but where would I buy one of these truss rod tools. I don't see a place to order on peavey's site?
  17. mikeldtl


    Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Stewmac sells them. I have a nice T handle truss tool I bought for Gibsons that works on the few Peaveys I've set up. 5/16 was the size. I don't see any reason to pay $18.99 for the tool from Peavey... I don't know what they're selling but I see no reason why the Stewmac setup wouldn't be just as good if not better. There's also no reason why you can't go down to Ace and buy there nut driver for like $8 and use that... my first truss tool was exactly this and still works fine even though my fancy Stewmac tool is "nicer".
  18. JTE

    JTE Gold Supporting Member

    Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Many earlier Peavy instruments don't have enough clearance between the TR nut and the wood walls of the access cavity for a regular socket set to get in there. They did that on purpose so you pretty much had to use their tool, which would strip out if you forced the nut too hard. This required you to pre-stress the neck, and just use the nut to snug up the rod, instead of relying upon the nut to move the neck.

  19. all parts 5/16.. order one for $7

Share This Page