1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

T-40 vs Darkstar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I have a set of T-40 pickups hanging around and have thought about putting them in a project bass, or maybe I'll get some Darkstars in there. Yah, I have a bass with Darkstars (avatar pic) but I really don't want to yank them out of there to try a direct comparison. I know some of you guys have converted some T-40's over to DStars and have heard both pups in the same bass. Thing is I hate mud. Hate it. I want plenty of top end sizzle and mid that I can back off if needed and I'd like it without a preamp if possible. Then again, maybe I'll put some Dimarzio's in there depending on what you pup gurus have to say...

2. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Oh wait! It's a two-parter!

Yeah so I had the T-40 pups in my T-4003 that I built, but there were some complications and I haven't messed with it for a long time now. The body is pretty thin and I didn't want to route any deeper than I had to, so the pups ended up probably too darn close to the strings. I don't remember exactly, but I know I really wanted to drop them a little deeper but didn't have room for it. So the next related question is what other pups might be a good choice that don't need much body depth? Q-tuners? Villex? Some wacky thing I never heard of??

You can see she's pretty shallow:
    DSCN0494.