T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deeptubes, Aug 19, 2013.

1. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Just placed a winning bid for a '79 T-40, natural of course, with 6 seconds to spare. Very excited! :hyper:

$237.50 is all it set me back. It had been tucked away for awhile. No case, but I'm sure I'll live. Had been considering an Ibby SRX700, glad I didn't go that route. I've also had my eye on a modded '11 MIM J - Lindy Fralins, Hipshot bridge, varitone control plate. Seen that one not hit reserve twice. I don't have a black bass or a legit J. It would fulfill both. Still keeping an eye open on that one.

Now, I've got to wait between 3 and a torturous 10 days for T-40 delivery. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That is a great price for a T-40. Well done.

3. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Looking forward to pics when she arrives!

4. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Me too!!! :D

I think it's strung with flats - they look flat, lt purple silks. Undecided on strings. I have a bunch on hand - Chromes, D'A 160 rounds, and D'A drop D rounds. You know, this may sound strange, but I think I might be most excited about breaking it completely down, cleaning it and putting it back together. Odd, huh?

Gonna have to snag a T-60 for when my daughter starts playing guitar. Then, we can match!

5. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Congratulations, do you mind if I join you? I "won" an auction yesterday on an early '78 T-40 myself! It had OHSC & included free shipping for a final bid price of $285! Mine has some obvious gig dents & scratches and other than a cracked lifeguard & one broken switch, it seemed alright for the price. It seems that the day you could still find an unplayed, mint condition closet queen T-40 for under $200 has long passed!

I'm pretty excited myself. Mine is also a natural finish with a black pick guard. Since most of them you ever see have this combination, I decided to be contrary and ordered up a B/W checkerboard pattern guard for it. It'll match the sneakers my daughter bought me for Christmas!

I look forward to changing out the switch and GUARD, cleaning & dressing the fretboard, cleaning the body & hardware, & stringing it up with a new set of Fender 9050 ultrasounds.

Can't wait to hear how it sounds!

Mike in Texas

6. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Fender 9050 FLAT WOUNDS fer Christ's sake! I absolutely HATE "auto-correct"!

Mike in Texas

7. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Right on! Glad I wasn't going head-to-head with my fellow TB brethren.

On another note, I haven't told the wife yet. :eek:
    I suppose I'll let her know tonight.

8. BassinCT

BassinCT

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    That is a nice find at a very good price. My first bass in 1983 was a white T-40 with the same vinyl pickup tops. With the pickups both full-on, the thing barked like a junkyard dawg.

9. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Hey deeptubes-

Tell the wife the old standby...."but Honey, it's a great INVESTMENT!". That used to work for me....about 50 motorcycles and 4 or 5 basses ago!

Seriously, though.... the price on these is heading upwards. How many other vintage 70s American-made basses out there are selling for less than $1K these days? Best of all, these babies have TONE to spare.

At the end of the day, what it'll be worth will only matter to my estate. I'm keeping this one 'til I'm in a pine box.

Mike in Texas

10. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    She might be a tad upset, but I really don't think she's going to care. She knows basses are my thing. And, I think she'll really dig it. I overpaid a credit card and had a -$314 balance. That was what I used for the purchase. So, it didn't even cost me liquid assets, per se. What better to spend non-money on?

Hell, I've used the "investment" excuse on my mom more than my wife - mom was a senior vp with Bank of America. With one exception, I bought all of my basses used, and they are all worth more than I paid for them. I think prices on these are about to rise. They are already going for more than they were a year or two ago. Admittedly, I did want a '78, just to be able to say I have a first year. The one I snagged has an awesome grain. I've always liked the looks of a T-40, and I have no problem with heavy basses. My #1 is a 13 lb Precision Elite II. I'm 43 and currently not gigging, so it'll spend more time in my lap than around my neck.

11. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
  12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    holy hell! i complain when it's over 10 pounds, sold a great sounding P bass because it was 11.

13. Defnitely jealous. I haven't seen one go for under $300 in a while. Everybody seems to want 400-500 for a T-40...in pretty much any condition.

14. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I have a case I would part with

15. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    That's a nice score for sure. Looking forward to reading your review. (And the pics, too, of course.)

16. emf818

emf818 Guest

Dec 27, 2012
    I saw one at my local Guitar Center for that (Actually about a hundred more) and i was shocked. I haven't looked lately to see if it's still there but probably is, chances are someone would look at it see Peavy and just pass it up.

Btw those things play fantastic so congrats on the ownership. Play it well.

17. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If it's in any kind of decent condition, that's a great price!

18. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Nice deal! I've been wanting one for a while. I almost got a closet mint all original 1980 sunburst w/ case for $200 but the dude sold it out from under me on my drive there!

Congrats though, I'm sure it'll be awesome!!

19. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Probably GHS Precision Flats.

20. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Yeah, I got lucky on finding a VERY early '78....it has the "8Mxxxxxx" number! I think I won it because it appeared to be more "used" than some of the more expensive T-40 offerings on Feebay. That's OK. I like "detailing", and since my back won't let me ride motorcycles any more, having a bass to detail is right up my alley.

Of course at 11.5-12 pounds, this bass will probably only be played at home in a sitting position, unless I invest in one of those high-tech strap systems (can't remember the name).

In any case, I'm really anticipating all the tonal possibilities I can get out of the switching system with these vintage dual Peavey humbuckers.

Good luck with yours, deeptubes!

Mike in Texas

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021