Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

T.C. Electronics G-Major

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ebozzz, Feb 23, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I know that most people don't like multi-effects units and to be honest with you, I would prefer to have individual effects pedals also unless they can ever develop a multi-effects unit with effects that are of a higher quality. There are some units that might be acceptable, at least for a while. I just want an honest opinion. If any of you have used the G-Major, what are you thoughts about it? How would it work for bass? Try to give me little more to work with than "multi-effects suck" please. Thanks a lot! :)

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Yo Ebozz,
    Both my guitarist use T.C. Elec. G-Force & M1 processors and they work great! They've tried every conceivable FX pedal & multi rack unit and both settled for the T.C. equip. Lexicon also has nice stuff but you have to spend more $$$ to get = tone as a T.C. unit. Paulo from Sepulatura uses a G-Force w/his Zons & he loves it also. I presently (always switching) use a chorus & dist. pedal on one sect. of my rig(I use 2 pre-amps, 1 clean/1 dirty) but am also considering using a G-Force unit because it also works great on bass & is very adjustable in its parameters sect. I had a T.C. chorus pedal that I didn't care for(got rid of it) and swore off T.C. stuff until I heard my guitarist clean & dirty sound & was impressed, totally different from pedal?!? Anyway, go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash & try one, you have 30 days to return it if it's not your bag. Also, if you want to hear some of my bands stuff check us out on Mp3.com EVOKEN or our web-site EVOKEN.com.

later,
    Satan

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Satan,

I never thought that I would be having a conversation with you! ;) Thanks for the reply man. I'll have to go by a G.C. to see if they have one in stock so that I can give it a try. I'll also check your MP.3 files out and tell you what I think. I'm building two racks and the only thing that I need for the first one to be complete is a power conditioner.

I'm using an old Peavey BassFex unit with the MIDI foot controller in that rig and I'm starting to make plans for the second one. The BassFex thingy has been discontinued but it's pretty cool, especially at the price that you can get them at if you can find them in good condition. The problem is finding one in good condition and at a reasonable price. I'm going to try to find another one of the BassFex units but I also want to have an idea about the other options that are available. Thanks again .

4. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Can't speak for the G-Major, since I've never tried one, but I've been extremely impressed by the Lexicon MPX-G2. Extremely flexible setup and routing. I did look at the G-Force as well. The G-Force has:

More flexible internal routing for multiple parallel paths.

More controller options (LFOs, ADSR's, etc).

MUCH better user interface!

The Lexicon has:

More true-stereo processing.

More external routing options.

More flexible effects options (you can use multiple versions of the same effects in one patch. i.e. - 2 compressors, 3 detuners, etc. The G-Force only allows one of each effect).

Crossover effect! Splits highs/lows to left/right outputs. Used at end of chain - biamp outputs. Used earlier in chain - apply additional effects to highs while leaving lows clean.

MPX-R1 dedicated foot controller.

Price for the Lexicon is on par with the G-Force, but considerably more than the G-Major. However, the Lexicon MPX-1 has most of the same effects as the G2 (fewer distortions and no compressor) and is in the price range of the G-Major.

Matt

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Dear Hoople,
    Yes, the Lexicon you talk about is a a very fine piece but if I wanted ultimate usefull(less) fx I would just go for an Eventide H3000D/SX. The G-Major plays up to 7 fx at once + has a tuner for a lot less than either the Lex, G-Force & of course any Eventide unit. The Lex's feature to run more than 1 of the same effect is a marginal gain because too much of the same whatever will usually create a "Mudpie". Anyway, music, wine & women are all relevant in "It's just a matter of personal taste"

ciao,
    Belial

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've looked at the Lexicon, G-Force, Eventide and other comparable units but if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I would opt to go with the individual pedals that I'm interested in. Something around the price of the G-Major is about the max that I would want to spend. Now that I've got that out of the way, is the G-Major the best option that I should consider in that price range or are there other suggestions?

7. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    He of the forked tounge and cloven hoof:

I did look at the Eventide DSP4000 and GTR4000: extreme processing power and completely out of my price range.

The advantage of the same effect in multiple blocks isn't necessarily to be able to use them at the same time. Its a flexibility issue: The G-Force will let you use a Wah or an EQ, but not both. The Lex, with a Wah in multiple blocks, allows greater flexibility in what other effects you can use in the patch. However, multiple compressors are useful when coupled with the crossover: each crossover output into an independent compressor equals multi-band compressor. Multiple compressors are also useful on either side of the effects loop: mild compression before the effects loop and SWR IOD, and compression at the end of the chain to level volume changes caused by other effects.

Ebozzz,

What effects are you looking for? What individual pedals would you buy for Eventide $$?

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Matt,

I don't want to spend Eventide dollars at all on effects at this stage! :) If I could, I'd probably look at pedals from Lovetone, EBS, T.C. Electronics, Akai and the original Mutron to name a few. The plan right now is to tread water and upgrade after I've taken care of a few other needs.

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Dear Hoople,
    I hear(heard) 'ya loud & clear. The compression options are great tools for those in need. I leave mine off on my Eden & ADA pre's & my compressors (fingers & ears) generally work that detail quite efficiently. If you are using many sensitive fx then by all means use the "best" tools for "your" needs. Closing on that note, the "Quest For Tone" is as infinite as Hades & you should never stop your (im)mortal search for your "Ultimate Audible Pleasures"! Satan has left the building, thank you & good night!

cheers,
    Rhadamanthus

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I may be chiming in too late, but...

I tried out a G-Major at my local GC about a month ago. I spent about 1/2 hour with it, and in that time, barely learned how to use it. I did manage enough learning, however, to run through every one of the 99 preset patches for a 1 minute riff.

The sounds ran the gamut from completely useless to completely cool!:D I'd recommend spending time with it, yourself, if you're planning on spending the $$$. But, I don't think it's a bad unit. It's definitely TC quality;)

11. Hey Ebozzz.....................

Multi-effects suck.

Don't make me send that scary guy over to your house!!

hahahahaha!!

Russ.

12. The above reply was a joke! Don't get all worked up please. Ebozzz and I know each other.

Russ.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Russ,

That scary guy is definitely going to be hiding in your bushes now! ;)

Ram you're never too late to chime in with knowledge. I appreciate the insight. Thanks.

Satan & Matt, thanks to you guys also. You gave me more to contemplate and that's a good thing. :)

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, thank ya', sir:D Happy to oblige...after all, I've got to have something to shoot my mouth off about, don't I???:D

15. This isn't going to turn into an arguemant thread is it?:rolleyes:

16. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I sure hope so! :D just kidding....

I played with a G Major today for about 30 minutes.... but I was playing guitar through it (ducks to avoid the barrage)... The patches were interesting, but I don't know how well the factory presets would be for anything, and I have questions about how well the unit would do for bass... I would assume that if you spent the time, you could get some good patches going, but it would probably take a good amount of work...

P@

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Not a chance Bigfeet! :) I am going to send that guy that Russ is scared of over to his house! :D

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Who would do such a thing:confused:

19. Not me!!
    Didn't you see my second post?
    It's a joke......you know....humor???

20. Humor is dead, Russ. Humor is dead. Muhuhahahahaaha! :D