1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

T-Funk score!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djero44, Mar 31, 2009.

1. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    I happened upon a "blemished" TF 750-A head from Zzounds last week for $1229 and decided to jump on it.... it arrived today and i'm very happy running it through my Peavy 4x10 and i'm looking forward to playing it through some other cabs! I never would have heard of this amp if it wasn't for these forums, and it suits my fretless much better than all the other amps i've tried in the past few months, and sounds great with my fretted too. I look forward to rehearsal and gigging with this sweet head.

I have had a great time lately spending hours reading and learning from these forums. Thanks to all of you gear heads and players for sharing your information here, it really is invaluable. I am loving the bass very much and know i'll be a TB regular for many years to come.

Ya'll rock!

:bassist:

2. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    So the cabinet search has begun for me, and i'm not in a particular hurry because I want to make the best long run choices and I need to save up the $ to get what I want anyhow...

I've learned a lot (as i've mentioned) reading here, and today read that there is a very potential phase cancellation when mixing different speaker/cabinet sizes which puts another realm of consideration into play for me. I'm quite happy with my 4x10 configuration, but feel that the versatility of two cabinets could be really fantastic (not lugging a big one for every thing being the biggest), but it sounds like doing a 2x10 and a 1x15 might not give me the sound i'm looking for, I could consider two 2x10's but the price difference between that and one 4x10 cab is significant, especially considering i'm liking everything i've heard about the Bergs and other fairly expensive cabinets.

I'd like to know more about this phase cancellation if anyone has any advice, perhaps it isn't as big of a factor with matched brand units that have been designed with this in mind, or perhaps I need to get two of the same boxes. Time will tell, i suppose, meanwhile i'm going to try my bass/head combo with any and every cabinet I can find!

Btw I did my first rehearsal with the T-funk the other night (6-pc funk/rock/world groove project), it was lovely! The sonic presence is so much better in the mix than my old Peavey, even through the peavy 4x10. So far i'm totally delighted with my purchase. I really can't wait to hear it through some choice cabinets.

=)

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Congrat's on the purchase of the TFB750.
    That was definitely a good price for one with full warranty.

I've heard a lot of good things about the 750 but I'm yet to play through one. I've had several of the 550's and 420's though and they are without a doubt the best live amp I've gigged with.

My preference with the 550B Tfunk has always been the Berg HT-112's. Great sounding cabinets and their mid voicing is perfect with the Tfunk.

I can only imagine how good a 750 Tfunk would sound though a mini Berg stack. IMO the 550's put out incredible loud clean volume so I could only imagine how loud the 750 would be. More power than I need, that's for sure! :)

4. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    TF750 + NV412 = bliss

5. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    I've had experience with 10's and some 15's with bass cabs, but haven't ever played through 12's. I've heard from a couple players on this site the Berg HT 1-12's are a sweet fit, and that setup could fit my modular desires quite well. My question is, how is that going to compare to a 4x10? If only I could a/b i'd be set, but for now i'm still fishing for info.

Now a NV 4x12, that sounds very interesting, indeed....

:)

Thanks for the info!

6. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    ...well it's been a month, and if the honeymoon is over then i'm sure it's going to be a very rewarding long-term relationship! I LOVE my amp, and it's continuing to impress me every rehearsal.

My fretless 4 (corvette std) and my p-bass lite both sound incredible through this head. I must admit I cant get a tone i'm happy with with my 5-string (no problem with the low B at all though), but it's sort of a metal style bass and i'm going to sell it and buy my daughter a bass anyhow. But all in all i'm fantastically happy with this amp. I have a nice eq setup for my fretless (probably room specific, we'll see) and when I play my fretted (>10% of the time) I just tweak the tone controls on my bass and have plenty of range so I don't have to switch my eq settings. Lately i've been experimenting with the timbre knob, which is one of my favorites, so when I go from a funk tune to a reggae number I can just dial the knob to the left and get a whole new amp out of the deal. Oh yeah! It makes us all dance.

Today i'll play a small gig outdoors for the first time with the head, doing some classic rock covers and originals with one group and some latin jazz fusion with another, I can't wait to see how it goes. I'm still playing through my Peavy 4x10, i'm in no hurry to get new cabinets; I want to try as many as possible before making an investment. And I have all the tone and power I need in the meantime.

Me so happy! :hyper:

7. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Thanks for the update and info. Keep us informed about the TFunk. I am real curious about this amp. I would like to try one someday. I have seen lots of video of people playing jazz and slap style, and wonder how this amp would work with classic rock, country, especially with a 4x12 cab and a couple of GS112's.

Congrats!

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I love the sound through my Accugroove Whappo Jr. It sounded fantastic through my Berg AE410 too... the two cabs are fairly different, but just a tweak of that magical Timbre knob gets me right where I need to be no matter what!

9. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    Well, todays gigs went well but i'm afraid i've found the limits of my 4x10, and they're not where I want them to be. There was no pa support on the low end, not that it was expected or (hopefully) needed, and the bandstand at the park was quite poor acoustically. We didn't really sound check (it is a small gig), but listening to my amp I thought my regular settings would be fine. On the first song though our guitarist is coming out way loud so I cranked myself up past my rehearsal settings (to something like 5-6 gain 6-7 on the master) to deal with the guitarist and started breaking up way more than I wanted. I adjusted the best I could on the fly through the short gig (6 songs) and went with it. I definately wanted more clean headroom and I think having the right cab should help me significantly. I might have helped with some eq tweaking, i've been running a fair bump in the mids (around 1.00 and 2.5 I think) at rehearsal, and at the higher levels I probably should have experimented and flattened those out a bit. I was busy trying to play my fretless and sing to really deal though. I should just set my amp up outside my house and play with it a bit. It is possible the bandstand had significant effect too; it was like a metal sound trap. Even still I hope i'm right in assuming a different cab/cabs I could probably get more of what i'm looking for, clean headroom baby.

The Latin Love gig was better, there was no loud guitarist and I had time to dial things in a bit. I still wanted more, but at least I could turn down and get back towards the sonic range I am used to working with this amp/cab combo. We got a nice response, which is good considering we played a couple pieces that we'd never even played together. I'm not a session player who can just sit in on anything (wouldn't that be nice?), so i am always pleased if the spontaneous live stuff goes well. `:)

Anyhow i'm left thinking that I might need a bigger cab (correct me if i'm wrong) to be able to make me truly happy in an setting like today. Something that will be plenty for an outdoor gig on it's own. I feel like the potential is easily in the amp itself, I just need to get all the pieces in order, which is a learning in progress.