Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

T-Funk w/NV610??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, May 12, 2005.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Anybody tried this combo? I wonder how that tube switch matches up with an old school style sealed cab.

2. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Scotty,
    I gig regular with the TF and the NV610. It sounds really great, The TF is a bit tubey warm sounding and it blends nicely with the sweet punchy sound of the NV610. I haven't tried the TF with other cabs, but I'll soon have a Accu to compare with. If you want the vintage "sealed" cab sound I would definetely go with the Berg NV-series, these cabs are truly awesome. From what I've heard the TF sounds great with almost any cab.

3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I think it would be a great combo.

Here's something that's pretty equivalent.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    As the dude pointed out, Frankie pretty much just got that rig.

I may be heading this direction in the future if I go with Bergantino's, i'm looking at either a Sunn 300T, Aguilar 500, Ashdown Evo 500/900 or a nice TF to sit on top. I'l be going out to try all the amps soon to see what i like best, i'l keep you posted :)

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Check out the Mesa 400+ and 400 as well, and also the Traynor YBA 200 if you don't need so many watts. The 300T is now the Fender Bassman Pro 300, so I assume you are buying used, so also look for an Ampeg SVT-II or SVT. Or a good used Trace V4/V6/V8/Quadravalve/Hexavalve. All are great tube amps in about the same price range.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Plain Old, I really like the Mesa 400/+ but the only problem with it is that I can't have two channels (Well, dirty and clean at least), that's what i'm kinda looking for, so I can swap between o/d and clean mid songs. If I got the TF i'd be getting something like a Mesa bottle rocket to compramise lack of o/d.

The used market over here is small.. I've never seen a Traynor new or used, but am interested to try one. I did try a Ampeg SVT-II/Pro and didn't like it for the lack of clean headroom.
    An opportunity for a used Trace V8 came up not long ago and unfortunantly I missed out, i'm still regretting that.
    Hmmm, I have about 6 weeks to make a final decision, as at that time my current amp and Mesa 1516 will be gone. I hope I find something..

7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    OD? Fulltone Bass Drive pedal!

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Sent PM's... Didn't want to hijack. :)

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Seconded! An awesome pedal - can turn my SWR GP/QSC PLX/Acme rig from hi-fi to vintage to dirty to distorted. Effectively makes your rig THREE channel!

Alex