Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

T-I Jazz flats on a Spector?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Dec 10, 2003.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I have an NS2000/4 with EMG 35 series active pickups and an 18 volt EMG preamp which is very bright and clicky.

Would the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats be the best way to mellow out the sound while preserving a good thump? Has anyone tried these on a Spector? What did you think? Got any mp3s? :D

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I'd try some nickel strings, D'adarrio Slowwounds are great or some nickel DR Lowriders.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Another thing I did on my SpectorRebop with EMG HZ's is turn the trebble all the way down, turn the bass up, scooped out some mids on my EQ. But turn that trebble down on the actual bass and compensate with your head if need be. I use DR lowriders stainless because I found the Spectors to be a little bright anyway like you said. Try that and let me know...

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Well........

5. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Lowering the pickups took the clickiness out! I tried T-I flats and wasn't 100% impressed. The strings are flaming blue skulls on my Jazz though! I'll try some Slowwounds on it too.

Thanks!

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Slowwounds sound very nice on Spectors, even better with the upgraded pre. I play a lot of rock so I opted for the DR Lowreiders, just a little more bite than the Slowwounds but fine choice that would be my second.