T.M. Stevens - Shocka Zooloo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, May 6, 2004.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Finally picked this up today after being curious about his talents for quite some time.

Having read much about his reputed ego and less-than-stellar previous efforts (by some accounts), I was skeptical. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised upon giving it a spin.

Granted, it's rather derivative of such artists/bands as Sly (including a quasi-remake of Family Affair), P-Funk and Seal, but it's still enjoyable nonetheless. Nice variety of styles throughout the CD and some solid lines by TM.

Anyone else snag/like this disc?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have that one and Boom! and I like 'em.
    He's no Wooten, but he's fun and very nice when I met him @ Musikmesse Frankfurt.
  3. I've only heard of him occasionally in bp mag, i did hear shocka zooloo on the college radio station, and i was really impressed. I haven't been able to find a cd locally though.

4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check Stevens out on '70s R&B hits like Narada Michael Walden's "I Shoulda Loved Ya" & "Tonight I'm Alright".
  5. ah, i wondered who that was. nice bassline.

WinMX'ing it now it sounds very Bernard Edwards-like (eg. Everybody dance)

looking at his discography;

I guess that's him on james brown's "living in america"?
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yeah! he's real hip and has a nice '70s funk vibe and groove. :bassist:
  7. StevieHimself

Sep 10, 2008
    Ramsey, NJ
    DR Strings rep & Ibanez endorsing artist: Steve Bello
    My wife and I have been friends with TM since 1993, when we met him at Live Tonite in Hoboken, NJ. Even though he was hanging out with all these sycophants, he genuinely liked talking to us most of all. That left a lasting impression. He even mentioned us while he was on stage, tearing it up. Who else does that? "Hey turn on the house lights, I want to introduce my two new friends tonight!" HAHAHA!

Yes he does have a giant ego but you know what? Unlike most musicians whose egos are forced and is meant to mask insecurities, his is quite natural (if there is such a thing) yet he doesn't let it overshadow him as a human being. That's rare in this industry. He knows that when he's on stage, NOBODY can touch him. But off-stage, he's a true gentleman. I can only say that about VERY FEW musicians.

As for his music, he wears his influences on his sleeve but I think he's doing his own thing. I enjoy his music and stage shows very much. I have yet to bring any of my bass-playing friends to one of his shows and they walk out disappointed. Never happened, never will happen.

**One funny note: My cousin and I bumped into him backstage at a Megadeth show in 2000. Al Pitrelli was in that band at the time, and he was in TM's band for a short spell as well. Even backstage, TM was very chill yet you felt his presence big-time!

Much respect!! Happy 2009 to all of you.

PS: His music is now on iTunes! Dig in!!!
  8. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Thanks for reminding me, StevieHimself,

TM was on my shortlist some time ago but I never got around to checking him out at greater length.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't know if it's ego or just a rock star persona that it takes to get some high profile gigs, I think he knows the game and plays it. But I don't care, I dug almost every gig he ended up on from Joe Cocker [that's him slapping on Unchain My Heart] to the Pretenders to Pat Travers etc.
    For Deep Purple fans T.M. has a killer tribute album out called 'Black Night' with some great players that includes Bernie Worrell, Cory Clover & Will Calhoun.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.