Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

T-Mobile customers click here

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jun 7, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think kserg was asking about T-mobile a while back and there wasn't a lot said but I'll try again. My wife's cell phone contract with AT&T is ending and she's never been real happy with the signal quality in these parts. She's thinking about T-Mobile because they have some really great deals. Looking into T-Mobile the only thing that concerns me is that they don't have any partnerships with other companies for roaming out of their coverage area and whatnot. Most other major companies such as Cingular, Verizon and AT&T do seem to have partnerships with other companies to cover their dead spots.

So this is my question: Any T-Mobile customers here? If so chime in about your reception experiences with T-Mobile and whether or not you are located in a larger city or not. Also, when you're traveling between cities what's the coverage like? This only goes for America...doesn't really help me to hear that it's working great in the UK. :)

brad cook

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I left AT&T to go to T Mobile, and so far, so good. I don't have a problem with my reception. I used to be with Cingular, and I had a lot of dropped calls. Pi**ed me off!

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i used to work fot the mobile and they did me very very wrong.

i have a tmobile....lol

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Can I get an interpretor over here please?!

brad cook

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have T-Mobile and I have good reception for the entire 6 hour drive from Gainesville to Miami.

Peace
    Nick

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    brad,

i moved from AT&T (7 yrs) to T-Mobile and i actually like it! i don't have a bluetooth phone (to mate with my Palm PDA), bit i like it nevertheless.

i pay 39.99 for nationwide roaming and long-distance. 600 minutes peak and unlimited non-peak. you can enter your phone numbers from the website to send to the phone (instead of entering manually onto the phone - you can add up to 10 numbers at a time....it think).

the only problem i have with T-Mobile is the "SIM card not ready" issue, but all you have to do is turn it on and off again (reboot). other than that, i haven't had a problem with it.

you can even put in a code to see how many minutes you have used in your cycle.

PM me if you have any questions.

7. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't live in your area, so my advice might not be the best. BUT I have sold many different cell phones over the years (different carriers) and T Mobile has one of the worst coverage areas of any of them. You may luck out with the area that you're in, but generally speaking they leave a lot to be desired.

Again, I don't live in your area, but I have distributed Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Cingular and TMobile and had the most problems BY FAR with Cingular and TMobile. If you're looking to get away from AT&T, I would go with Verizon, or Nextel personally.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The only time I have lost reception over the past year with my TMobile phone was when I was canoeing in VERY back-woods Arkansas. My friends' AT&T phones also lost reception, and the only one that worked was Cingular. I pay for only local coverage (all of AL, MS, LA and FL), but the few times I have had to call to or from outside my area, it has been very cheap.

9. I saw a map of t-mobile's coverage area, which is pretty much the entire US major highway system.

I'm pretty happy with my t-mobile service.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One place that was lacking that my wife and I find ourselves on occasionally is I-10 headed through west Texas. They have it marked as a future coverage area though.

brad cook

11. I've no idea about your area, but I know that in LA, Cingular & T-Mobile are pretty good. If you're going to the UCLA area, IIRC, the only thing that works is...Verizon? But then around USC Cingular & T-Mobile work best. I find, anyway.

So...really, my post has contributed nothing to your original question. :spit:

12. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I'm not impressed with T-mobile's service. My phone cuts out a lot in an area that should be covered. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Other T-mobile customers in my area have the same problem. AT&T, on the other hand, does fine.

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    translation> i used to work for tmobile. i actually was in management there and did some product research and stuff for them. we parted on rather unfreindly terms and i swore i wouldnt give them a dime of my money when i left.

12 months later.... i have a tmobile. $ for $ its the best wirless service on the planet unless you have a special need ie. you travel into rural areas alot.

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I use Tmobile; no problems so far....

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    BTW, T Mobile uses "network sharing", so when you're out of their coverage area, they piggyback other systems, so you'll have reception. So far on this tour, I've had no problems, knock on wood. *raps SuperDuck on the head!*

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah but the thing that makes me iffy about it is that they only use the GSM network and have no backup network. I believe the GSM network is the least developed of the common networks. I believe others will switch to a different type of signal or network if the primary is not available while T-Mobile uses GSM exclusively.

brad cook

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. Keep it coming if anyone has anything else. Only takes a few seconds!

brad cook

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Woody you got to get the bus out of the south and head up north!!!! Seriously all the festivals are in the summer in the midwest and would to see and hear the jams.

Back on subject. I had AT&T 3 years ago and hated it.

19. I've got T-Mobile and I've been generally satisfied with it. $40 for 600min/mo plus free nights/weekends... The coverage is pretty good except the usual in-large-buildings problems; I haven't taken it out of the Detroit/Ann Arbor/Lansing area too much, but when I did there were no problems (a trip to Cincinnati comes to mind). I'm heading to Chicago this weekend; I'll take note of how the coverage fares over the trip.

As for the negative, I've been having problems with dropped calls over the past couple months, usually around the 10-minute mark of a call, and occasionally later in long calls. However, this may be a problem with my phone (Motorola t722i); it's flimsier than it should be at the flip hinge (my friend has the same phone and his is sturdier).