1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

T-nuts for bolt-on necks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Monkey, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    In my last couple of builds, I have used T-nuts inlaid under the fingerboard. They seem to be working just fine.

I was just reading the "Neck bolts and anchors" thread, and was wondering if my cheap T-nut method has any big disadvantages compared to the anchors discussed in that thread.

The T-nuts are fairly easy to install, but I have to route out a recess for each nut.

Any thoughts?

2. I suppose you could size the hole so that the barrel slides in tight - but personally I prefer to use a threaded insert that threads into the wood. And they are easier to drill for than a T-nut.

3. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    I've uset T-NUTS for the 9 instrument I've built.

Works very well and easy to install.

4. Hi.

From the engineering viewpoint, T-nut distributes the force more evenly and to a larger area, it doesn't distort the grain that much and is probably easier to install by an inexperienced instrument builder. On top of that, T-nuts are much easier to find than threaded inserts.

The only downside I can think of is that replacing them if the threads get stripped is more difficult.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks, all. It's nice to know others are using them with success. I guess I will stick the T-nuts.