Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

T-Rex Purist outboard preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Copycat, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I'm thinking about getting an outboard pre to use with a US Hamer CruiseBass that I don't want to modify, and while I've considered the usual suspects (Aguilar, Sadowsky, Fodera), I came across this one, the T-Rex Purist, on a website recently and it intrigued me. Anybody own one or know how it stacks up against the others mentioned tonally? I like that that it has a small chassis/footprint (it's a two band box like the Aggie DB 924), but it has a bypass button/switch on it which would come in handy. If anybody has any info on this outboard pre, I'd appreciate hearing it. Thanks.

2. Keep your eyes open for an EBS Microbass, the first version (there is a Microbass II out now). It is supposed to sound great and shouldn't be very expensive in the used market...

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i knew i saw this thread somewhere
    i just tried the purist today vs the aggie and to tell the truth the purist sounds a lil better (to me)
    the lows are tighter sounding on the t-rex, the treble boost on both models is good
    the purist also has a belt clip and a bypass button (which makes quite a "pop")

4. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I own the Purist, the Aguilar, and the old Sadowsky beltclip pre.

I always loved the Sadowsky, and to my ears, the Aguilar sounds similar (not surprising, given the common heritage).

I was surprised to find that I liked the Purist best. It's a little less aggressive, more "round."

5. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Thanks for the info. At the time that I posted originally, I had a passive fretted bass and an active fretless, and I was looking for an outboard pre to use with the fretted bass. Since then, I sold the passive bass and am awaiting a fretted that will have the same onboard electronics as the fretless, an Aguilar OBP-3. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, however, as that Purist pre still intrigues me. Thanks again.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my thoughts exactly - a nice surprise, but these days, who needs more options? just more GAS torture. :p

but seriously, if i were to get one, i would probably go with the purist