1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

T. Rex v The Power Station

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Newer Dave, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    My bass is the next delivery on the driver's route so this will probably be the last one of these for a while. I want to go out in style so here's a challenge for y'all.

Pick a version. Which is best?

I'm calling it for The Power Station.

Plectrum72 likes this.
  2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    for years, t rex's electric warrior was among my very favorite albums, and i loved bang a gong. that being said, the power station's interpretation really rocks, and if i had to listen to only one version, it would be power station's.

here's another song i really like from that album

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    bholder, Plectrum72, osv and 7 others like this.
  3. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Even though the '80s were a big part of my musical formation, I have to pick the original T-Rex version.

The Power Station version is good, I dig Robert Palmer's take on the vocal line but, to me the guitar and bass parts, especially the solos, are just cheesy. Seemed cool at the time but now, like most of the stuff I dug in the '80s, it just doesn't sound good.

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    original FTW. The Power Station remake may rock hard and be excellently produced, but it offers none of the quirky charm that made T. Rex such a cultural icon.

5. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I’ve gone back and forth over the years, today it’s Power Station. That being said the drums on T Rex’s are ridiculous.

pcake likes this.
  6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    For me, I like both versions equally for different reasons. This is a case where a remake was just as good as the original but has a different twist to it not to mention the bass solo.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    mohrds and pcake like this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I thought the Bass solo was performed by Bernard Edwards on this...

8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Maybe he did since he produced the album. I just figured it was John Taylor since he was in the band.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    T. Rex all day. I think the Power Station's remake is silly.

10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'll take Power Station for $2000, Alex...

guitarflinger and Newer Dave like this.
  11. I agree. I like both versions (we actually used the Power Station arrangement in bands I played with in the 80's) but T. Rex wins the Test of Time award.

+1

JimK likes this.
  12. I love this song, by T.Rex. I actually dislike the powerstation version, despite generally respecting that band and being of that generation. I think the production is weird and oddly balanced. The electronic "haze" over everything really sucks the character out of the song for me. The original for the win for sure.

13. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I have never played the Power Station's version with a band. The T-Rex version is the one most know how to play. It is close call for me but I favor Power Stations version. They are a monstrous group of players and that is the vibe I get from their version.

14. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Power Station......John Taylor was a fave of mine back in da day....then I heard Nick Beggs (Kajagoogoo) who took the JT thing to the next level :D

15. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I love '70s Glam like T.Rex, (I even got to see Marc Bolan and the band before he passed away) Slade, Bowie, Mott et al. Power Station's take on it rules. The recorded drum sound of Tony Thompson, John Taylor gets a little bass lick in and the guitar is much more in your face, plus I've always liked Robert Palmer.

consectaneus likes this.
  16. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I like both, but to make a fair call I had to listen to both without watching the videos. After doing that T. Rex came out on top for me.

17. Well, they're BOTH great to these ears!

Loved T. Rex when I heard it, then later during my teenage years, I fell hard for the PS version.

18. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    For JimK above:

JackNasty, c10, Richland123 and 2 others like this.
  19. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

I like both but if i were to choose one version to perform live it would be the Powerstations. I really liked that outfit.

20. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gotta go with Power Station on this one.