Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

T Shirt help...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kronos, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey there...since most of us are in bands, I was wondering where you guys go for T shirts to be made. We have someone who wants to do them for us, and he quoted us a good price especially since he isn't charging for colors, but he is charging a $50 plate charge for the silk screen. Well, do any of you know of places that have great prices? For comparison, he quoted us $300 for 50 t shirts with front and back printing...2 colors on the front, 1 on the back.

Like I said, he quoted us a good price from what I saw online, I was just wondering if you guys knew anyone who might be cheaper...Thanks!

2. bass_newbie

bass_newbie

Oct 24, 2005

There are several free websites, such as http://www.cafepress.com and http://www.spreadshirt.com
    which allow you to upload designs and create products to sell online.

The websites handle shipping, and there are no minimum purchases. However, I'm not sure how the profit compares to buying shirts through a shop...

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    $6 a shirt for a short run of 50? With 2 colors and 2 sided printing???

Dude, you're getting a steal, assuming that the $50 screen is included in that $300 quote. That would mean that future orders would be around $5 per shirt (since the screen is already made). I'm assuming you'd sell them for $10 (standard), so you'd be making a 100% profit.

Pull the trigger.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    The $50 isn't included, but I think we're going with him. Just wanted to be sure we're getting a good deal. This is our first time dealing with making T shirts.

Thanks!

5. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    We have some local guys who can do shirts, but we're going to go with cafepress.com for a little bit first, until we're more established. We can make a couple bucks per shirt and not have to keep anything in stock, that's nice. Plus we can offer coffee mugs, women's thongs, whatever!

If we start getting some demand for the shirts, we'll probably get some locally done to sell for profit at the shows.

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    We've got a Cafepress store, but I find it's better to have stuff at the gig to sell. I sell more that way. And buying shirts myself from Cafepress gets a little more expensive than having someone print them up locally.

7. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Things to look out for...

PM me...I'd be happy to discuss this with you and give you a quote as well.

8. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    We are definitely going that route; we have some people who I know will buy shirts, and we can get a couple designs on cafepress and see what's more popular. Then take that info and figure out what you want to offer locally for a higher profit. It is a lot easier to get some drunk to plunk down $10 or so for a shirt at the end of a gig rather than count on them to remember to visit your website later on.

9. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I wouldn't expect to make a profit. If you have mass quantities of shirts on hand, you'll find that all your friends will want a free shirt. And you may even agree that he or she deserves one. It's a nice thing to provide for the faithful, and good advertising, but if you come anywhere close to breaking even, you'll be lucky. My band does the cafepress thing, and that eliminates any hard decisions about who gets a freebie. But I must admit, I don't see hordes of our tshirts at our gigs, just a few. Of course, it's winter..
    Available on cafepress is a thong with my picture on it (I didn't create it, honest!). Quantity sold: one(1). :rollno:

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    True friends will pay for the shirt to help support you. Hell, the guys I work with are buying our shirts once we get them printed. The only person that wanted a freebie was my dad, and I explained to him the reason for having T shirts.

Besides, Cafepress doesn't make black shirts.

11. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    They do now. :D

12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    If you have any artistic ability at all, buy a little press and do it yourself. It is really easy to do shirts, just do the research. In the long run the press pays for itself and you have control. More than likely you will be in a band the majority of your playing career so it will payoff.

I started with a little kit I bought from Michael's arts and crafts store that came with a screen, 3 inks and a squeegy and instructions. Mother nature works wonders when making shirts. It worked great for a good year and we printed about 300 shirts of of that little cheap screen and sold everyone of them for a big profit margin. Not to mention I did shirts for other bands that PAID me to do so.

Now I have a 4 color press, screen burner, dryer and lots of work from other bands.

DISCLAIMER: I am an Art Director (Big words for a high end graphic designer). I do my own designs and sell that along with packages. If you have to hire a designer (which you should for a logo) it might cost a little more but worth it in the long run.

13. If no covered this earlier - cheap shirt screening generally means cheap shirts. And unless you really rock no one wants a crappy shirt. So be sure to check shirt quality first!

And firkinahsoul is right - if you have the time and a little bit of interest you certainly can screen your own shirts. I learned how to do this from my mom (a professional Girl Scout, lol) and it's not too hard. And that way you can ensure what ever quality level you want!

Disclaimer - like firkinahsoul I am also a graphic designer, lol.

14. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Check out www.machinegungraphics.com Here's their prices:
    t-shirts (colored) white $1 less
    (youth xs-youth l & s-xl only) xxl $1.50 more, xxxl $2 more, xxxxl $3 more.
    Longsleeve $2 more
    1 color 1 side $4 per shirt, $10 set up
    1 color 2 side $4.50 per shirt, $10 set up
    2 color 1 side $4.25 per shirt, $20 set up
    2 color f 1 color b $4.75 per shirt, $20 set up
    2 color 2 side $5 per shirt, $20 set up
    3 color 1 side $4.50 per shirt, $30 set up
    3 color f 1 color b $5 per shirt, $30 set up
    3 color f 2 color b $5.50 per shirt, $30 set up
    3 color 2 side $5.75 per shirt $30 set up
    4 color 1 side $5 per shirt $35 set up
    4 color f 1 color b $5.25 per shirt, $35 set up