Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

t24 get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tcook, Jul 1, 2005.

1. tcook

tcook

Jul 1, 2005
    I"ve been looking through the older posts here and noticed that the Washburn T24 is pretty much considered junk.
    I have had one for a couple days and really don't know enough about "modern" basses to know what is out there. Last bass I owned was a Gibson Thunderbird and a Fender Telecaster which I sold in 1974. I know, I know. :meh:
    The guy that sold it to me told me that it had active electronics, so I have a good reason to return it for a refund since it does not.
    I can spend up to $600and like a bass sound with punch I'm looking for suggestions.

2. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    I would ask the questions: How does it play and how does it sound? That's really the only two things that really count...right?
    You have to remember that there are alot of people here at TB who
    own and play basses that are VERY expensive so to some any $500 bass is "junk". There are also some here who might play a $199 p-bass copy and love it. The guy who drives a Bently might turn up his nose at the guy who drives the Toyota but the guy who drives a KIA might think the Toyota guy is very fortunate.
    If your Washburn plays and sounds good why not keep it. You can allways buy another different bass sometime in the future then you will have at least two basses to choose from. :D

3. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    P.S. you can allways get the sound of active electronics with an outboard preamp or a EQ. I have a Boss GEB-7 seven band eq pedal and have never wanted for onboard active eq. you will never have a battery go dead in the middle of a gig on a passive bass!

4. tcook

tcook

Jul 1, 2005
    good point.
    I have some time to mess with this. I like the way it plays, so maybe I'll keep it. It didn't cost much and if I get serious about this (my wife calls this my midlife crisis) I can get a better one

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The question is, do YOU like it? Doesn't matter what we think of it. I personally hate some basses which others love. That's why this is an art, not a science ;)