1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

T40 guys I need some help please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ariff, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Hey guys,
    I just picked up a great T40 off E bay a few days ago. I sat down with her for a few hrs and gave her a good cleaning, and nice setup. I decided to also check out the electronics as well. I noticed the neck PU is working as designed. With the tone control all the way up it is a single coil and with tone control around 7 it is a humbcker. However the bridge PU is a different story. It seems to be stuck in single coil mode. The tone control acts more like a volume control. If I have the tone all the way up and tap on the rear most coil I get nice strong response. Not much from the front coil. Then I turn it down to about 7 and the volume drops dramatically and the front coil still does not come on. The rear one is still the stronger one. Am I making any sense? Anyone know exactly how this circuit works. I looked at the electronics and everything looks good. No loose solder joints or anything. So how exactly does the switching happen. Is there any component that can go bad in there that would cause these type of problems? Or do I have a bad coil in the pickup? I also noticed that the phase switch will mute the bass when I am using only the bridge PU. I think this is by design correct? That phase switch is meant to be used with both PU's selected correct? Well thanks for any help you can give me with this. By the way here is a pic..

[​IMG]

2. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I can't really help you with your problem but I have to say that is a beautiful color. :p

3. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    I guess this should really be in the electronics\pickups forum. Can anyone move this for me. I don't think I can..

4. You should post to the T-40 club.

Never seen that color before.

5. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Red is one of the more rare colours. Good score. Can't help with the problem though

6. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Yeah red or the sunburst was the color I had been holding out for, plus with a RW fretboard.. When I saw this on the Bay I almost wet myself..

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    the switches can break and Peavey had some production trouble on their pickups at one time, but i don't know the whole story behind it (something about an attempt to cut costs and what not)

8. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Well I did some researching and come to find out on the later blade style pickups Peavey switched the way they attached the chrome covers. Instead of pressing them on at the bottom the pressed them on at the sides. And sometimes they would press too hard and damage one of the colis. So a lot of T-40 came from Peavey with only one coil working. However on my bass I removed the pickup and tested it. Both coils work, good news. Turns out the phase switch was shorting out on part of the cavity shielding causing problems. I removed a bit of the shielding and coated the connections on the switch with liquid electrical tape and problem solved.. Works like a champ now.

9. That's a nice one!!