Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tab -> notes

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by patrickj, Mar 16, 2003.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Any programs out there that will convert tabs to notation? I realize that it won't be perfect notation, but something that says F rather than Dstring|---3?

2. It'd be a lot of work, really, but you could do it through Tabit (or Guitar Pro and the like) and finale. Put in the tab, convert to midi, run the midi into Finale.

3. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Anyone know of anything that will directly convert bass tab to notation? I found one that will do guitar tabs...

There's this one tune... way too lazy to write it all...

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You're going to hit the problem that many tabs don't include rhythmic indications. Standard notation shows the rhythm at a glance ... which means you can't write it if you don't know how the beat goes.

Or do you just want to end up with a stream of note names; C Eb G C, or whatever?

Wulf

5. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Well it's a question of the original tab quality. I make tabs with a program called "TablEdit". It's just a matter of choice if you wish to make a tab or standard notation. It works the other way around as well. If I take a decent tab and import it to TablEdit I can correct possible errors and convert it to standard notation.
    Of course, if the numbers in the tab are not spaced accurately and bars missing it's impossible to get a resultate that make sense.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    You might want to investigate Power Tab it's free and converts midi files into sheet
    notation and tabulature. Tabulature that is entered into the
    program can be converted into Sheet, and the Tab/Sheet
    can be played through your soundcard.

You can download Power Tab Bass Sheet/Tab from powertabs.net.

I've found it to be handy.
    It's worth a test drive to see if it meets your needs.