Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tab probs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rogilla, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Rogilla

Rogilla

Jun 10, 2005
    is it a problem that the only way that i learn songs is by tabs? i have tried learning songs by ear but i just cant figure out how to play the songs on my own

2. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Ear training is an important step in advancing your playing. If you get lost w/in a memorized pattern, then you're going to need some way of figuring out where the band is and where it's going so that you can catch up. Playing a pattern means that you'll have to find your 'place' in the progression. It's like forgetting the lyrics and instead of coming up with something, trying to fast-forward or rewind in your head.

Instead, when your ear is trained, you can play what is in your head. You will be able to think ahead of and within the band. If you can't play what you hear, you will never be able to play what your brain is feeding you inside sounds. Soon, you'll 'hear' stuff in your head that is cool, but if you haven't trained your hands to regurgitate those notes, then it will stay in your head.

Try getting a book of basic licks in the type of music you like to play. Whether it's rock, jazz, blues, country... play those licks all over the neck. Soon, the patterns become sounds, and the locations of their roots will imbed themselves in your head.

Good luck.

3. Rogilla

Rogilla

Jun 10, 2005
    thanks that helps...on to jammin :bassist: