1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Tab Request: Tower of Power's So I Got to Groove.

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by DeaconBlues09, Jul 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. If anyone can help me with this one I would be extremely grateful! :hyper:

2. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    Tower_Of_Power - Mind For Music

You will find horn charts and a chord chart for the rhythm section at above link. Sorry, I know of no tab for this tune, but maybe this helps.

3. Thanks a lot! I already found that chart (unfortunately my non-tab music reading skills are pretty crappy:thumbsdown:)

4. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    This morning, I looked at that bass riff.
    There are SO many variations of that bass-line live, with all those tiny but numerous variations of the bass notes - ghost/muted notes and rhythmic nuances.
    Overall, it's a two-bar bass pattern that repeats itself with variations.
    Here is MY(!) only attempt to transcribe just 4 bars of that bass-line.
    In the video I've used, it's the first and the third rendition of that riff.
    Here is a GP 6 version of those four bars.
    Please be advised that GP 6 could not produce/imitate some of the sounds/tones/articulation nuances that my(!) ears heard.
    Also, due to low quality level - 192 youtube video, it's possible that some of the ghost/muted notes I've just implied(!); therefore, use caution.

A few notes from that short transcription.
    1. I hear a "touch" of bent.
    2. I think there is a movement down by a half-tone.
    3. In my video version, I did not hear that second 8th note but in almost all other bass-lines form LIVE performances, Rocco is playing a second note as C in the last Beat; therefore, I've just added something "in between" a muted and pitch note.

P.S. I would prefer to play that D note in Beat 4 as an Open D (if it's only one quarter note) but Rocco (that's what I think) plays it on the 5th fret of the A string; therefore, I tabbed as the 5th fret. I've seen some cover bass players playing that D on the 10th fret of the E string.

4. In Bar 2, I hear two "ghosted" notes but GP 6 could not produce the needed effect; therefore, I wrote one note just staccato and the second one as muted.
    5. From what I've heard on numerous Live versions, I assumed(!) that there were four muted/ghost 16th notes played as three notes as D on the A string and the 4th as E (open/muted). I could not hear clearly that part from my youtube video; therefore, I kind of used an "average" notes of that Beat/Part from various LIVE performances.
    Also, it could be played as all four muted D notes.

RoccoPrestia.PNG

Here is a sound clip of that short transcription from Guitar Pro 6 Bass at 100BPM not the original 115BPM tempo!

https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...3/?temp_hash=2767b27a3113fa754e433f16ed792dbf

It's a long song with a lot of tiny nuances in the bass-line. Even with the best quality recording it could take some time, but...
    If you have any specific questions, I would be more than happy express my opinion about it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    DeaconBlues09 likes this.
  5. WUTP, coming through as always ;-) :thumbsup:

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  6. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I've used the following youtube video:

There are quite a few Rocco's LIVE performances of that song, and he REALLY changes his original (studio) bass-line.
    In the following video even while playing the second time his riff (around 0:51) Rocco just "saturates" us with a lot of ghost/muted notes going down the fretboard.

hs123 likes this.
  7. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    This evening I listened carefully to the whole bass-line and noticed one interesting thing.
    While I was transcribing the first(!) two bars of the bass-line, Rocco played the note, G, in the second bar; therefore, I wrote G and assumed that G would be always there, but...
    Rocco plays that G note while playing the 2-bar riff only the first time. After that (with one, maybe two) exceptions, Rocco does not play G!
    Here is an average pattern for the main Rocco's riff.
    RoccoRiffRev.PNG
    Here is a sound clip of the revised bass riff at 100BPM.
    I'm sorry for my assumption and misinformation. :rollno: :thumbsdown: :spit: :mad: :sour:
    https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...9/?temp_hash=41f1f2c84858b89eac7ceac37d1fabd5

Attached Files:

8. Thanks again, WUTP! As always, I find your elucidations fascinating, your choice of words wonderfully precise and insightful, and your tonal (or "aural," to use one of your favorite adjectives) descriptions exquisite!

9. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Thank you for your nice words. :thumbsup:
    I think you are one of the kindest TB member.
    This morning, I transcribed 6 bars of Rocco's two-bar riff with nuances.
    It's Repetition of the bass riff 7, 8, and 9 from that youtube (studio version). It's only that particular bass part!
    Once again, it's what I (!) heard only.

Here are my notes.
    1. Rocco plays the second note as F# instead of going down by a half-tone.
    2. I hear a slight "bent and release" here.
    3. Rocco does a slide. Also, Rocco plays the last note in Bar 2 as ghost/muted D#(???).
    (Please, don't ask me why. That's what I've heard.)

4. Rocco plays ghost/half ghost/muted notes as C, C, D, D. Guitar Pro could not replicate Rocco's sound.
    5. Rocco inserts a grace note - C#/Db - between D and natural C.
    6. This time, Rocco plays ghost/half ghost/muted notes as C, C, D, C.
    7 and 8. Rocco slides from C# to E(???) instead of playing D.
    (Go figure.)
    9. Rocco plays a ghost/half ghost/muted note as E.
    10. Rocco plays ghost/half ghost/muted notes as C, C, D, D.

RoccoRep7-8-9.PNG RoccoRep7-8-9-2.PNG

Here is a sound clip of that part at 80BPM.
    https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...9/?temp_hash=29b2c6520a3b327e3a22b9d9874ab420

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  10. Can I nominate WUTP for president? :woot:

11. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    P.S. I'm actively searching for my Vice-Presidential candidate.;) :D
    I've even placed a few ads on Craigslist.:smug: :cautious:
    And...
    I've started working on my inaugural speech. drool :cigar: :bookworm: :help:
    Very busy :p but...

Here is my attempt to transcribe the 1st bridge (in G13) with two bars before that bridge.

Here are my notes for myself.

1. A short slide with Finger 1. It makes more comfortable for
    2. the legato slide with Finger 4.
    3. That C note is not clearly heard - muted.
    4. Once again, it's difficult to hear that muted note, but I(!) think Rocco plays muted C.
    5. It sounds (to me) like it's a slight bent note.
    6. I would use Raking in that spot with a muted note C on the 3rd fret of the A string.
    7. Rocco plays a short note A before moving back to expected G.
    8. One of those questionable "ghost/muted" notes.
    9. The note, A is played with "slide in from below".

RP-1stBridge.PNG RP-1stBridge2.PNG

Here are two - the same sound clips of that bass-line.
    1. at 80BPM.
    https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...8/?temp_hash=1aa2359685cee03e1b67ffb76aabb4d3

2. at 114BPM.
    https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...9/?temp_hash=1aa2359685cee03e1b67ffb76aabb4d3

Attached Files:

12. Now I really got my work cut out for me ;-)

13. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    In Bridge 2, Rocco gets really restless, but it's later.

14. Thanks again WUTP, I gotta say, every couple of years or so, I go on a Rocco binge, and become re-enamored with his style! His lines seem deceptively simple, and I find that more than with any other basisst's lines, the setup of the bass plays more of a role in being able to execute his technique than with any other bassist I've ever encountered (although I'm no scholar, so feel free to post examples to the contrary ;-) )

15. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Rocco, as one of the hardest working bass players with his unique, easily-identifiable voice on the bass, has solidly carved a big niche in the bass world.
    His lines seem "deceptively" simple for two reasons.

1. Most of the youtube bassists playing Rocco's covers usually replicate and portray the simplified versions of Rocco Prestia's lines due to various .... reasons.
    2. When I watch Rocco's playing, it also seems easy but for a different reason - It's the Master playing.

16. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS

Attached Files:

17. Thank you so much WUTP, I've been having great fun with this over the weekend, and I must tell you, your attention to detail with all the little nuances has kept a grin on my face for the entire time! Your appreciation for the finer elements of Rocco's style is very much evident. :smug:

P.S. I would love it if you could email me the GPX file at my gmail address :hyper:

18. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I'll e-mail you those files after work. They are on my computer at home.

19. Thank you SO much!

20. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021