Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TAB SITES

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by mcline5804, Feb 19, 2006.

1. mcline5804

mcline5804

Feb 11, 2006
    As a new bass player I have been using tab sites to learn new songs. One of the sites I was using was mxtabs which for some reason is no longer. I found that mxtabs was updated often with songs being played on the radio now. The bass tab archive is a great site but contains mostly older stuff. Does anybody know of any other sites with recent tabs.

Thx,
    mcline

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I found that basstabarchive.com served me fairly well when I used tabs. Do a search on this subject theres word of these tab sites shutting down in a similar fashion to peer to peer file sharing sites like napster. The money grabbing corporate heads aren't liking these sites and are taking legal action...which may or may not be a good thing.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Lots of sites are closing. It's a shame.

basstabarchive mentioned is a good choice.

Another I have had success with is ultimate-guitar

4. More tab sites are closing in the IMMEDIATE future with threats of lawsuits coming from the music publishers. Their lawyers have issued a warning that they are going after tab & lyric sites with the same zeal the RIAA exhibited when it went after Napster and all the other music file sharing services. The big push is coming from the publishing arm of WARNER.

This is bad news for me. I live in a really small town with only two music stores and neither of them stock much in the way of sheet music. Most guitar books are USELESS for bass other than to find out the root chord and then figure out the line. I actually can read music but more often I learn the song using tab. Tab is actually a faster process because I can get tab online and be playing it in a few minutes. I've used it because it is fast and because it is free.

Other than the fact that the tab is not always correct, the main problem with tab is that often the song you need isn't tabbed. For example I've been told our band is going to play Sara Smile by Hall & Oates, but nobody has a tab of Sara Smile online, so I'll have to get the sheet music somewhere. This is extra hassle and expense as follows.

The usual process for sheet music is to drive to the music store to find out that they don't have it. Get the store to order it, then drive back to the store in a week to find out it is backordered. Tell them to call you when it comes in. You get the call that it has arrived 3 to 6 weeks later, you go pick it up, you drive home and now you can learn it. The band then decides NOT to play that song anymore.

With a tab site, I just go there and learn it.

I'd be willing to pay for decent workable tabs or for sheet music online. With a downloadable sheet music/tab service set up like I-TUNES we could pay the 99 cents and get the tab and everyone would be happy. But no such service exists yet as far as I know. There probably wouldn't be enough demand to make it worth Apple's time to add it it their I-TUNES service.

It appears Warner and other publishers are going to try to shut down EVERY tab site, while they don't have actually have an online solution to deliver fast and cheap access to sheet music or tabs for the working musician. BUMMER.

Anybody got a bass tab of Sara Smile? LOL:bag:

5. fitter happier

fitter happier

Feb 27, 2006
    yeah my teacher was telling me about that before, I think he said that its all the american ones are being closed for copyright reasons and that kind of thing, but if you use:
    911tabs then you should find what you want because its more of a tab search engine than a tab site but works exactly like a normal tab site, thats what i normally do.

6. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I was a dedicated MXtabs user until they shut down a couple of months ago, now I use http://www.ultimate-guitar.com and seem to find the majority of the tabs I want.....

They won't be getting shut down either due to the fact that they pay royalties..... apparently...

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Someone just posted a thread yesterday with the open letter from MXtabs, they are back up. I just checked it, it's there.
    They decided they are not doing anything illegal.

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    The problem I have with TABs is that someone usually does a shotty job of the transcription and then every other one you find is copied from the same one. I usually have to end up transcribing the stuff myself.

It would be nice to have actual standard notation charts and/or lead sheets. I have done quite a few, but it would take too much site space to post pdf charts, I'm sure.

9. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    WOOHOO MXTABS IS BACK!!! I didnt beleive it cos i'd recently given up on checking to see if it was coming back.....

10. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Rarely have I run into a tab that is correct unless the bass is so obvious you really don't need it anyway. Use your ear and tell RIAA to worry about something more useful than discouraging people from being musicians.

11. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
  12. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    +1

I understand using tabs, but you'd be better off learning it yourself.

Chad

13. Yes it is.:D

I'm actually going to post a tab of Paschendale on there since there isn't one.:D

14. If the eejits are going to take away tab sites, then they're going to have to provide a ready and accessible source for sheet music to meet demand.

Problem is that most sheet music sites are devoid of most decent stuff

15. Exactly!! Ahmen! Thank god mxtabs.net is back!!!

16. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    cowboylyrics.com has some tab. Most of it is not base, some is. Some are chord charts. It is (somewhat obviously) country-oriented. Don't ask me why I know this. I'm ashamed that I do.