Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tab Software: WARNING!!!

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sorry mods if this is in the wrong place but I wanted to make sure nobody makes the same mistake I made.

The tab software Easy Guitar Tab Maker Pro v4.31 which you can download from Harmony Central is loaded with spyware/adware. DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT!!! I'm fighting pop-ups as I type :mad:

I notified Harmony Central so hopefully they will pull the link. We'll see.

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Powertab 4 eva! It requires a bit of work to get into, but it's worth it, in my humble opinion.

3. http://www.guitar-pro.com/

check out http://www.mysongbook.com/ for the songs people have made tabs for this software of.

This is a fantastic piece of software IMO. When I bought it, I downloaded it and started using it right away. About 2 weeks later the CD in a DVD case came to my mailbox. Classy.

Kev

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The only reason I even tried this program was because it supposedly wrote tab as you played.

Here were the features:
    -As you play, it tabs!
    -Works for both electric guitar and electric bass.
    -Supports 6 & 7 string electric guitar.
    -Supports 4 & 5 & 6 string electric bass.
    -Customize your own tunings.
    -Playback wave or midi of the tab
    -Converts to MP3,WAV,VOC.
    -Tab converts to txt,html,doc.

They left out the malicious adware/spyware feature in their list! :spit:

5. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    Weee...

I grabbed it just for the sheer enjoyment of watching McAfee VirusScan Enterprise squash it!

Anyway, DO NOT download and install this software. It's jam packed with adware/trojans. If you have good antivirus, it won't even install/run due to all of the crap thats bundled with it.

6. I use powertab editor, its great! and u can import/export midi files extra bonus!

7. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I am trying to figure out if I want to use either the powertab or guitar pro. I would like to know if I can get a tab to a song from either one and be able to play it back and have it show me where in the song it is playing.Hope my questionj is clear enough. Thanks.

8. Both powertab and guitar pro will do this, however powertab is free but in my opinion guitar pro is much more versatile and the tabs available are usually more accurate.

9. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Thanks Bushfire.

10. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    anyone got one for OSX?

11. I much prefer PowerTabs and though guitarpro has a few more features, I find Ptab even though its never updated, much easier to use and sounds better and easier to follow and...well...

NECROPHAGIST uses it! :bassist: :cool:

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I use Guitar Pro 4 and PowerTab as well. I suggest them both.