Tab symbols

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bassopotomus_2, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Hello there,

i've been playing bass for about 2-3 weeks now.
    i've learn one Offspring song and papa roach.

but my problem is in some of the songs i try to play, there are symbols such as "h" and "x", i am unsure what these mean, could someone please give me a list or symbols and meanings for them?.

(does anyone also have a good site for tabs?)
  2. Welcome to Talkbass. :)

This site has multiple forums for different topics. This is Basses. Perhaps I can interest you in somthing along the lines of General Instruction? ;)

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The "X" represents a muted note. You simply lay your fretting hand lightly across the strings and play the string(s) indicated, giving you a muted/percussive sound. I believe the "H" is a hammer-on. You would pluck the first note indicated and then "hammer-on" to the second note indicated, usually without actually playing it. If the "H" does represent a hammer-on, there should be a little arch over the two notes with the "H" over the arch. There are lots of other little symbols to learn, but this answers your direct question. As far as tab sites, I use the TalkBass tab section and quite often. Try typing "bass tablature" or "guitar tablature" into your search engine to find more.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It has been a few years since I used bass tab. I am fairly sure the "h" means hammer-on. IF you are right handed, that means strike the fret with your left hand to produce the sound rather than fretting and then plucking the string.

In guitar tab, the "x" means don't play that string. With bass tab, I am not sure. Like I said, it has been a while.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Bass tab differs from guitar tab in some respects, because guitar tab often has to indicate all the notes of an entire chord. In bass tab, the "x" on a string means muted note. How to mute a note is described by HateGear. You don't need to mute with the entire hand. Sometimes it is enough tomute with just one finger.
  6. the x and h have already been covered, but is a good tab resource and it's very easy to use. i think it's afiliated with talkbass so that the archives reflect eachother, but i think basstabarchive is easier to use.
  7. i don't know how to read tab either.