Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tab this song, plleeeasssee

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ibapunk, Dec 25, 2000.

1. ibapunk

ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    Can anyone please get the tab for My Life (King of Ska) by Operation Ivy. Just search napster and you can download it.I know i will be able to play it. I just want to see what it looks like.

2. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Why don't you just learn it by ear?

3. Tabs are the devil

4. ibapunk

ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    oops sorry, I seem to have left out a very important word. I know I WONT be able to play it. It is really hard...I just wanted to see what it looked like on paper...sorry for confussion

5. Well, if you can't play it and you can't read the standard notation and you can't pick it up by ear then I could give you a page of absolute bull hockey tab and you wouldn't know the difference or would you?

My point is that sometime, somewhere, you'll have to get with the program and develop a way to get these lines without the use of tab. If you intend to play professionally it will be mandatory. It could be by ear, or by standard notation, or chord chart but you're gonna need it sooner or later.

The way it was with me was that I had played BBb sousaphone and other bass instruments for 6 years when, in my senior year, learned to play bass guitar in my high schools jazz band. All I did was read, very little improv, and no ear learning. When I entered college and got with my first working band, I was handed a stack of LP's and told which ones to learn. It was trial by fire to say the least. I had to develop my ear in about 3 weeks and learn approximately 40 songs to be successful. It wasn't all that hard, since I called myself a musician, but it did require DOING. If you've been putting it off, now would be good time to start pushing in that direction.

I'm not giving you a hard time, really, I don't mean to. It's just a gentle push to get you on the right path.

6. ibapunk

ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    Nooo, you got me all wrong...I can read and i probably could tab something like happy birthday for myself but this is a pretty tuff song and there is no starderd notation for it either, I was just wanting to see it, and I would be able to tell if it was bull puckey..i think

7. polo3378

polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    Hambone-

Right on for what you have said, I feel that lerning by ear is necessary. It trains you in a way that I can't explain right now because it is too late at night. But anyhoo, I will take the challenge of listening to an album and learning the bass lines by ear.

Take care...

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    how much will you pay me?

9. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I know what you mean, sometimes it makes things to get a sneak view of a song in tab before you play it. But beware, last week at work I came across a tab of continumm(jaco) from the internet. When I checked the tab it turns out that some notes and positions are completety(absolutely) off. Same with a portrait of tracy.

If you have a pc have a pc I suggest creating short sections(loop like) of song with soundforge, recycle or even wavelab. You can then listen to these loops until you can hear what the bassist is doing. You can even aid yourself cutting high freq's off. If you can, start by finding out what key its in.

Its a lot easier than guessing which notes are correct in whoknowsfromwhere tabs

10. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I know what you mean, sometimes it makes things to get a sneak view of a song in tab before you play it. But beware, last week at work I came across a tab of continumm(jaco) from the internet. When I checked the tab it turns out that some notes and positions are completety(absolutely) off. Same with a portrait of tracy.

If you have a pc have a pc I suggest creating short sections(loop like) of song with soundforge, recycle or even wavelab. You can then listen to these loops until you can hear what the bassist is doing. You can even aid yourself cutting high freq's off. If you can, start by finding out what key its in.

Its a lot easier than guessing which notes are correct in whoknowsfromwhere tabs

11. GuitarPlayer

GuitarPlayer

Dec 29, 2000
    You might say, wow!!!!! A guitar player who actually reads music and enjoys jazz and classical. But besides that, i agree, if you cant pick up a punk song by ear you must be just starting out, or too lazy to ever commit yourself to your instrument.

12. ibapunk

ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    ok, ok. I know the importance of doing it yourself and training your ear and all that, . I am doing it, don't get me wrong...I was just curious about that particular song. Which is not just a "punk" song. If you listened to it, you would know. And for anyone who does tab it for me, ill give you the self gratification of helping out a fellow human being.

13. wow, guitarplayer, i don't know if your comment offends me more as a bass player or as a punk. there are some damn hard basslines in punk music, especially matt freeman's. however, ibapunk, i agree that you should ditch the tab. figure it out note by note if you have to, pausing the cd after each note and figuring it out.