Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tabla and phrase sampler

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by evilbob101, Feb 6, 2003.

1. I want them...no I NEED them..

Really want to get a set of tabla drums. Love the sound of them. Just not sure what im supposed to look for. Any one have information on this instrument.

Also, you guessed it. I would like a phrase sampler as well. The kind Vic has on bass day 98. So hard to start a band around here. I figure i could use one of those....loop some funny noises and make something out of it....any help on these?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    MY friend has some tablas...I am currently in the market for a Boomerang phrase sampler....the kind Vic uses is no longer made(according to Anthony wellington) but you could still probably find it somewhere.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    tablas cost ~$300 on eBay, afaik

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The tabla is a very difficult instrument to master. In the indian tradition, a student of music will live with his ustad(master) for periods that may exceed 20 years. In this period, the ustad teaches the apprentice all the things he knows. The apprentice pays the ustad by doing his errands and other assorted jobs.

So, when are you moving to India?:D

5. here in about a week or so :D .

I knew I had heard something like this. I doubt I will live with a tabla master for 20 years....I mean come on.....its a drum! I dont plan to lose face as a bassist and start up as a drummer, oh no no no. But I think I will buy a set just the same and see what pretty noises I can make...

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    As I mentioned earlier a friend of mine has a set of tablas....he has learned some of hte strokes(like 10 out of 20-something)

but he doesn't know how to tune them, hahaha. :D

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    In your hands, it will be.:p

You might not know this, but Indian culture has the most elaborate rhythm system in the world. They use a system of rhythmic syllables called Solkattu. I think it's a great thing for any musician of any culture to have.

8. actually i did not know that. thank you. I will have to look into that....i had the strangest feeling it was going to be harder than "just hit the thing, its only a drum."

thanks again!