Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tablature/Notation/Chord Questions

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by cgworkman, Aug 13, 2004.

1. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Here's my question:

I am reading some sheet music/tablature and I noticed there are chords written above the staff such as:

Eb7/G
    Ab/Bb

Can someone explain why the chords are "stacked" (or whatever they're called). I know what Eb7 is, but what does it mean when it's written Eb7/G ?

Thank in advance

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The note after the slash indicates what note should be played on the bass (although, depending on the musical style, this can still be open to a fair amount of interpretation). So, in your example of Eb7/G, the bass is probably playing a G, which is the major third of Eb7.

That will give a particular flavour to the overall sound. An example would be if you were playing a song in the key of G and the last four bars before the chorus went C / / / | D / / / | C / / / | D / / / |, leading back to a G for the top of the chorus.

You could play C D C D on the bass but it might sound better to play C D E F#, which will lead smoothly up to the next note. Of course, if you're playing from notation that goes beyond a simple chord sheet, your choice of note is probably already set out for you.

Wulf

ps. they're often called "slash chords"

3. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    This is what I've been doing for years... But someone recently told me I was wrong - that's why I asked.

Thanks!

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Did they have an alternative explanation?

Wulf

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    No - that's what pissed me off.

But thanks for your help.