1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tablature Software

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by john grey, May 14, 2011.

1. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I have used software like "Guitar Pro" and related items for awhile. However a friend told me about something that I have never been able to find. It's Tablature Writing software! Apparently someone wrote some software (that's not supposedly TOO expensive) that takes existing sound files and puts them into BOTH tab and notation. :hyper:

The guy who told me about this was with me at Guitar Center and pointed to a box on a shelf in the Keyboard area and said "that was it". :D

Does anyone know ANYTHING about this or even anything related? The value of something like this is fantastic. It supposedly can transpose from treble to Bass cleft and is not difficult to use. I would even check out Shareware or something that only wrote in Notation; but i can't find anything like it. I asked the guy the name & (of course) he doesn't remember. I went back yesterday to GC and couldn't find the box.
    Does anyone know anything at all about tab software???

Thanks.

2. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    is it something like melodyne? melodyne is pretty amazing, not sure if it does exactly what you're saying though..

3. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
  4. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    Just found it. I think it's called 'audioscore'.

5. Fredde

Fredde

Oct 21, 2010
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi,

This can't make tabs from existing sound files, but if you want something simple, free and accessible, you could try the web based VirtualBass

virtualbass_thumbnail.

More about VirtualBass in this thread

Best regards,

6. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    The only good ones I know of are Finale and Sibelius. They are not inexspensive. I use Finale, which makes very nice looking plates, though the tab sometimes takes a bit of massaging, as it defaults to using the lowest position possible for a phrase. Shifting it is as simple as highlighting a passage and setting the lowest fret used. Can be a bit tedious for the middle range stuff, but the end result looks great.

Edit: Oh, and that is hand jamming the notes in manually, or with a MIDI keyboard. Perhaps the newer versions can transcribe monophonic audio files...

7. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    A very serious "THANK YOU"!

Many of the ideas here are very helpful. Realistically, I think that (especially) tab software can branch into the sharing of licks and unique items that people couldn't share any other way aside from paper or personal contact.

I really hope that folks add to this thread if they find something that looks very promising or utilitarian.

8. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass Supporting Member

May 6, 2009
    Sienzo had a product called Digital Music Mentor that was good as a starting point. But he went put of business. I've offered to buy his copy right but have never heard back from him.

9. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Thanks for reminding me. I bought Digital Music Mentor a few years ago. Installed it from the setup file. It told me there was an update (2.6.0.6) which I downloaded. Works like a charm for a start.

There are a bunch of download sources available: digital music mentor - Sök på Google

Haven't tested them, as I have a kosher version.

10. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass Supporting Member

May 6, 2009
    You can no longer get a valid key so Do Not load a new version.