Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cloud_Connected, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    I was thinking of something 5 minutes ago.
    How do you train yourself to figure out how a song is played so you can make your own tab out of it.
    Anyone know how those guys manage to do it?
  2. You just have to listen and try to play along. The more you do it, the easier it is. I suggest starting off with the simplest song you can find and moving along from there. Don't worry about getting every single note either. It is more important to get the gist of the song. Practice!
  3. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Thanks for the help guys!
    But a question though, in Metal music dont they use more then 2 keys?:confused:
  4. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    but aint the key useless? it only tells what note was played first am i right?
  5. need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    That is incorrect. The key is generally more about the main chord being played, or the key you always come back too.

For instance a 12 bar blues in C would be..

C C C C F F C C G F C C

but you could actually start the song off on the G F C C part for the intro.

Although in more complex music, well, it's more complex. :D
  6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    90% of my solo practice consists of tabbing out albums by ear. I always find the root first then identify what scale it's in. Then when the root changes I look at modes to see if it stayed in the same key.

Confused? :p

I gotta go right now but I might try to explain better when I get home.

PS. It's a long and frustrating road but the more you do it the better you get. Also it's essential to start out with the right albums/songs (ie. not your favorite band). If you're into hard rock/metal I highly suggest the first 4 Danzig albums. They're like rock 101.
  7. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Scales, is a song always played in ONE scale?
    I meen scales, aint that just another word for notes in some special line.
    Like the chromatic ABCDEFG.
    I mean hows that gonna help me?
    When i look on Metallica and Megadeth both play metal but in some songs much different notes? So it meens they dont play the same scale?
    I have been looking at scales and just found one and played it then i dont know what i should do with it, i could just speed through the fretboard and eventualy i would recognize the note from example a song. But scales, what? i meen huh? i meen HEEEEEEELP! MOOOOOOOMY! :p :help:

ooh yeah by the way i found out that my base box on the computer sucked and then i putted on X-Bass and heard the bass pretty good so it should help some, and thats a tip from me find a cd played with X-Bass mode it roooooocks man.
  8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Buy the book "Bass Guitar for Dummies" (I'm not kidding). No, I did not learn from the book but the author, Patrick Pfeiffer (NYC jazz/session bassist), sent me a copy as a gift when he heard I had a grave illness on another bass message board. It is written very well and lays everything out very clearly. This will give you the basic knowledge of scales you will need to start asking the right questions.

This part of the learning process will suck but you have to get through it. Good luck.:)
  9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

No, many change scales, ( we say change keys)

Yes, you could say that

Chromatic is all twelve notes on the fret board.
    if you wrote CDEFGABC that is the C major scale
    It will help you find your way around the fretboard.

A good set of studio speakers will help you.
    You can't really get a lot of bass listening in on 1" tweeters.