1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tablet at audition

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glennreid, Feb 18, 2019.

1. glennreid

glennreid

Aug 14, 2017
    fort worth
    so i found a listing on Craigslist for a three piece needing a bassist...old school blues and some classic rock and some R and B..so i load all the tunes and the set lists onto Ultimate Guitar and a tablet ,with the transpositions..i always work off a tablet since i play from a 400 tune catalog and different players and genres..so i show up on time as usual ,in tune half step down as requested , with all the tunes in order and new strings ..
    never met these people before...
    the guitarist came 30 minutes late ,and had some pedal board hum and so on..both the guitarist and the drummer were seasoned players ,i kept up well and added some harmonies ..oddly ,the drummer has IEM's but we didnt ,so i dont know what kind of mix he got that i didnt get...
    anyway they said at the outset they had other candidates ,and i'm not really sure that i want to do this thing ,but i would like to get the gig so i can decline it..
    anyway ,looks like they chose someone else after all .. i think my use of the tablet is getting me some acoustic gigs but losing me some rock ones...think im just too old for the rock thing now ...

2. Sounds like a win-win.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's one thing when you show up for a good with 400 songs, and could play any of them. But when you show up to audition for a band, and they give you a list of songs to learn, you shouldn't use a tablet (unless they want to play after, and just start calling out tunes). The last band I auditioned for, I learned 12 songs, note for note, in a week.

MattZilla, 2112, bass10bfb and 14 others like this.
  4. I'm in a classic rock band and we all use tablets. We use BandHelper for our set lists and control our own individual mixes through our X-Air / X-18. A few other bands in our area use tablets as well.
    For my audition, I was asked to bring a tablet along to control my mix through my IEM's.
    Tablets are part of the wave of the future just like not using amps anymore (we use powered FRFR speakers).

5. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Why do you think that? Were they expecting memorization?

6. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    61 is not too old. In my town, there’s a certain stigma associated with the tablet in a rock band context. And like you mentioned, tablets are more prevalent on the acoustic scene.

I can’t explain why, it’s just how it is around here.

Edit to add this link. Thread just popped up. Live show -staring at devices??

7. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I auditioned for a band with 5 songs, memorized, and nailed them. I showed up the next week with another 20 charted and read off of a tablet for rehearsal. I had the whole 3 set gig memorized for the following month. If I'm subbing and playing a bunch of new tunes, I bring my tablet, but I'll memorize most performances.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    JPaulGeddy, bluejack, hintz and 4 others like this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Same here. That folks, is how you get a gig...

hintz, pellomoco14, cableguy and 3 others like this.
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Tell them ahead of time you have 500 song play list so you use a tablet and ask if there are Any problems with it.

10. glennreid

glennreid

Aug 14, 2017
    fort worth
    Yeah I think I learned my lesson I'll do it all old school now except for sitdown acoustic gigs.

11. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Are you staring at the tablet? To the point that it’s a hindrance to looking appropriate for the gig at hand? I’ve played plenty of gigs and nailed auditions with hand written cheat sheets on the floor in front of me when on short notice, and generally I’ve made sure it’s appropriate. If it’s an audition with known songs, you should take it upon yourself to memorize them. If you weren’t given a set list, then they’re lame if they’d give you a hard time about using a tablet. Even still, make sure you’re not staring at it too much, video yourself at a few rehearsals and gigs and assess your performance. It’s called show business, not music fun, if you’re trying to make a buck anyway :)

12. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    True but NOT for learning songs and showing what you can do in an audition. Two completely different purposes.

The brain is still the most important tool for learning songs.

13. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Agree here. And for me at least, it’s a total turn off when I see a band performing and I see tablets or music stands. And by “performing” I mean something that is interactive (ie this covers lots of musical styles) with the crowd - not background music.

And if a singer has to read the lyrics it should be done in a professional way with monitors on the floor. Even then I think it’s totally cheesy. I might as well be listening to the radio if people are playing from notes. I paid and I demand entertaininment dammit! :roflmao:

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    You show up with a tablet for an audition that required you to play a few songs and you stated "i would like to get the gig so i can decline it.." You wasted your time and their's. Sorry, but not very professional.

hintz, TideSwing, IamGroot and 4 others like this.
  15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You may play from a 400 tune catalog, but I'm assuming not for this audition. Just my opinion, but it depends on how many tunes you showed up ready to play and how obscure they are. If this is a blues and classic rock band playing the usual set list, AND you're only playing 5-10 songs, you should have them memorized.

hintz, Ekulati and Kmonk like this.
  16. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Probably because there's nothing lamer on stage than a bunch of glowing iPads. I would be curious to hear the between song banter and how much time was spent changing guitars.

Kmonk likes this.
  17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Exactly. You aren't paying attention to the room if you're reading. Rock songs aren't astrophysics, we're talking about 4 or 5 chords most of the time.

hintz, IamGroot and Kmonk like this.
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just a cautionary tale about tablets.

On a gig last year the vocalist dropped his iPad and (of course) it stopped working. We couldn't do most of the set list because he had never memorized the songs, even though he always sang them as if he wasn't reading the lyrics. Ended up doing 10 minute jams on songs he could remember :banghead: to make it through the night.

19. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Do what now?

20. :eyebrow:

hintz, BassPilot and Nashrakh like this.