1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tablet at audition

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glennreid, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

tablets are a crutch. We not talking about Mozart symphonies here, we're talking simple rock tunes. What did people do before tablets became so common? The memorized their parts, spending hours practicing.

ThePez, hintz and InhumanResource like this.
  2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    They wrote them on paper. ;)

hintz, pcake, thetragichero and 4 others like this.
  3. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Yeah, what's that about anyway? Why bother?

4. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I would never hire someone who needs charts for a 5 song rock audition, personally.

crguti and IamGroot like this.
  5. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I suspect your ambivalence to the project was more of a factor than the tablet.

ThePez, sevenyearsdown and BassPilot like this.
  6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play 2 kinds of gigs - one's medium to big stages, and everything is memorized. If I'm auditioning for one of those gigs, I show up at the audition with what I was asked to prepare memorized - stone cold. I'll even work things out in a few different keys, just in case I get that thrown at me - we often do things in different keys (with different arrangements, too), so knowing everything in multiple keys is part of doing those gigs well.

The other gig is an "acoustic" one - we're not on a stage at all (the audience surrounds us), and we use music stands. We've had a string quartet as part of that gig a couple times, so the vibe of music stands is just part of that. That gig didn't have an audition - it was mostly word of mouth that I'd be OK, as far as I can tell.

IamGroot likes this.
  7. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've used paper sheets. I often just make a note or a little reminder for a song - not really a whole chart. Used to fit about 10 songs on a 3x5 notecard taped to the top of my amp. It helps me to learn a song if I chart it on paper, but I find that I become reliant on the paper and get to the point where I can't perform without it. Totally a mental block / bad habit thing. I find the more I do it, the more I have to do it,,, and I don't like that.

Seeing a tablet on stage is kind of a turn off for me, but I get it. It's easier than keeping a 3" binder with 400 sheets. But very few gigs where you actually need a book like that. If you are going to do it, keep it small, keep it low profile.

My wife is not a music person, no idea how things work in a band or on a stage, etc, - total "average person in the audience". Without prompting from me, she always comments when bands have tablets - and it is always a negative comment.

I know that they are used for IEM, but there is a difference between dialing in a mix, adjusting once or twice during a show, and reading off a table throughout the show. Music is a language and musicians should be communicating on stage, I think it's a turn off when performers are staring at their devices instead of engaged with each other and with the audience (not saying the OP does this).

Absolutely NOTHING worse than a singer on a microphone reading lyrics off of a smart phone in their hand and scrolling.

newwavefrank and TimBukToo like this.
  8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Makes me think of that one job interview scene in Better Call Saul. Did it just to see he can sweet-talk an escimo into buying a fridge, well sorta.

InhumanResource likes this.
  9. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    well,if it's me, I learn the songs for a try-out. It's usually less than 10. I wouldn't bring notes or a tablet to a cover band audition, no way. it doesn't present your best foot forward - it says to the band that you might always need an I-pad as a crutch; that you didn't care enough to learn the audition tunes well enough to do without notes, or that you lack confidence. If I go to an audition, I'm over-prepared. I use no notes. I keep my head up. I rock it out. I play with confidence. I think it helps

10. glennreid

glennreid

Aug 14, 2017
    fort worth
    well i didnt know that i would decline it , until i had the audition ,now Would I? and they asked me to learn three sets for the audition...not a few songs ...so if your going to be inaccurate , please lead with that ..

11. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I guess I won't be working with most of you guys anytime soon. I always use a pad. Five songs, 50 songs, it's there. Doesn't mean I haven't learned the songs. Doesn't mean I don't interact with the band and engage the crowd. Just because they tend to be relatively simple, doesn't mean I remember the key and lyrics of every song I've ever done or how the bridge is unique to any given song (even though it is similar to 12 other songs on our list). I don't even always look at it, but it provides a quick reminder of the song before it gets kicked off. Maybe its a crutch, but I feel naked without it even though I don't really need it that much. I use it to organize the set list - a quick swipe and I'm on the next song. The tablet is much more distracting when I need to use it to adjust my in ear mix.

I'm not a full time musician playing to huge crowds who paid money to see me. I have too much other crap in my head to worry about memorizing a bunch of songs that may very well not even be needed next month.

Garret Graves and glennreid like this.
  12. glennreid

glennreid

Aug 14, 2017
    fort worth
    just to be clear ,i have learned my lesson about tablets and tryouts ,so beating me over the head with it will only serve to give me a sore head ,,,thanks for all the kind replies ,the mean ones not so much..

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You should edit your original post. Most won't read past the first few posts before replying. So they didn't get to the "I've learned my lesson" post. That's why the beatings continue.

Go back to the post and edit it at the top. "Thanks. Never mind. I get it." or something like that. That will not eliminate the finger wagging. But it should reduce in number and severity.

Garret Graves likes this.
  14. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That's over the top.
    BTW, not trying to pile on, and not sure all comments are directed at you, OP. I think some guys are more making comments about tablets and music in general. It's a big change in the way things are done, and guys want to discuss. There are currently two threads about it on the TB home page - hot topic right now.

I think the problem is that a lot of guys tend to stare at the tablet, don't interact, and don't engage. The warm blue light from the tablet draws you in, and you can't escape if you're not careful.
    That other thread that got posted yesterday was about just this... a band who were all sucked into their devices and not interacting.

15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Well, that's out of whack.

16. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    you waited 30 minutes ... that's 20 minutes longer than i would have been around ..!

17. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Did you have actual notation on the tablet? Or just chord charts? I'm thinking either they didn't like the tablet or they expected something more note-for-note. I imagine anyone with a passing level of skill can come in with charts and lock in with a drummer on roots and fives and so on. But if they're listening for signature licks and didn't hear them, then they know you didn't do any work to prepare. But, as someone else has mentioned, you also didn't really want the gig so it makes sense you didn't prepare. You probably shouldn't have bothered with this.

18. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    OK, now that I'm seeing this. Learn three sets for an audition? Nope. Not happening. They're wasting your time at that point. I would have contacted them to tell them I'd do five songs and learn five more for a second audition if they wanted you back. If they were not ok with that I don't think I would have gone in with a tablet, or at all.

JPaulGeddy likes this.
  19. Tablets aren't very rock and roll. Or uptempo country, for that matter. Or blues. But acoustic, folk, downtempo stuff--sure. There's no illusion there that you're going to set your instrument on fire or anything. Tablets ruin the illusion at a "rowdier" show.

20. Unless its some really complex song, a tablet for anybody playing rock would be a no-no for me. I dont want to play with anyone who cant play by ear to a reasonable extent. Especially if they had a set list in advance.

I am somewhat more forgiving about real books.

LBS-bass likes this.