1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tablet at audition

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glennreid, Feb 18, 2019.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    they asked you to learn three sets? no one has ever asked me to learn more than a handful of songs. to me, a band that expects me to learn multiple sets for an audition is a HUGE red flag to cancel the audition and move on to other bands because a band that expects someone to learn multiple sets hasn't a clue.

QORC, lfmn16 and LBS-bass like this.
  2. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    i would like to get the gig so i can decline it..

Good thing you mentioned in your post that you were older. After that comment I thought you were 12

crguti, hintz and lfmn16 like this.
  3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    For me typically when meeting a new band, it's not a formal audition per se, but more like here is all the songs we play come on down and see if its a good fit.

Typically I will be semi fluent in a third of the songs, familiar with another third and not familiar with the others.

In this kind of scenario I will bring a binder with whatever chord charts I have. They never seemed to have an issue with this. If I continue on with them the binder goes away as I learn all the songs.

On a gig I will sometimes put hand written notes on my printed set list to remind me of some tricky parts.

4. If you 'always play from a tablet because you have a 400 song catalog' - uh... you don't have a 400 song catalog.

newwavefrank, Gluvhand and ThePez like this.
  5. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    I just watched a clip of Michael Rhodes playing with Joe Bonamassa, and Michael had a music stand. He only glanced at it but it was there.

RichSnyder likes this.
  6. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    I know probably 10,000 songs (seriously) well enough to play them in any key, but if you want a specific bass line on a newer song, I want to see some music. But I still know 10,000 songs.

7. Mike's a session guy/hired gun/perfectionist.
    And very busy

dan1952 likes this.
  8. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Yeah, Michael is great!

9. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    If bands have issues with iPads, fine, I'm not their guy. I have an ever growing library of 1500 covers and if they want to play some Rolling Stones song that I've never heard, there's a pretty good chance that I can play the song thanks to my iPad library. If it's not in my library, it will be when I get home and I can just pull up at least chord charts for the song at will. IMHO, it's like trying to use the printing press instead of MS Word. Call it a crutch, it doesn't bother me. I consider it a super power to be able to play a song I've never heard before. Now, if I'm Jason Isbell's bassist and I've been touring with him for years and have written the actual recorded bass lines, of course I'd have everything memorized.

Lex P. likes this.
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    The point is not whether you had to go to the audition before you would know if you were going to decline it. Most of us had auditions and left feeling that it wasn't the right fit. The issue is that you were HOPING they offered it to you SO you could decline it. If after the audition, you weren't interested, you could have told them that immediately or the following day. Why not just say "thank you but I don't think I'm the right fit for your band but if I hear of anyone who might be, I will give them your information". What if they had told everyone else that auditioned that they had found someone (you), and then you declined? They may have lost out an other candidate who, even if they called him and offered him the position, may have declined due to not wanting to be second choice. Either way, it was a lousy thing to do.

crguti, Lex P. and RichSnyder like this.
  11. ThunderV

ThunderV Is getting yelled at by his cat!! Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Brunswick, OH
    If I auditioned two people for my band with similar skill levels, and one used a tablet while the other didn't.......i would definitely be more interested in the one who didn't. The whole thing kinda speaks volumes about the person....work ethic....integrity.....etc. We auditioned a singer that showed up to the audition with a notebook of song lyrics....he sang with his none in the book the whole time. He assured us that the book was just for the audition, we ended up hiring him. Guess what????? The notebook never went away....we ended up replacing him in 2 months after a few embarrassing gigs. We tried to talk to him about it, he absolutely had no interest in actually learning/memorizing the songs. Deal breaker for him and us as well.

IamGroot likes this.
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They had binders full of lyrics and charts placed on a music stand :whistle:

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've told auditioners that they don't have to bring anything but their best attitude, an ax, and an amp. i pass out the music and the audition begins. goes pretty quick! one way or the other. :D

14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Within the context of commn rock band cover tunes, back when I first started playing out (pre internet), no one had charts and/or lyrics onstage

15. mightyson

mightyson

Dec 1, 2016
    [sorry for the long length but the post above just struck a chord (pun intended or not, it's up to you!)

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the statement above. I use a tablet most of the time. On most gigs I'm the bass player and the lead (or only) singer for three different bands, so there's a lot to memorize right there. Do I want or try to? - Yes. Do I have the time to get to them all? - Nope.

I also do a good number of sub gigs. I can't tell you how many times a band leader has told me they would send me the set list for a sub gig and a week or two before the show I get a list of anywhere from 20 to 250 (not joking here) songs. This is for a 3 - 4 hour show. The statement above that if I had a good work ethic, or if I had any integrity, that I would memorize every one of those songs (even if it's for a one-time-only gig). Try to look at it this way - I get called in for a sub gig on short notice, to play songs that mostly I've never heard or played before. I'm honest about it with the BL and even though I use a tablet, they typically call me back when they need someone. Why? because I have a good work ethic and I have integrity, and I was able to do a decent job on short notice and play the songs using the chord charts on my tablet. I have tablets that have cell service so if a song is called that I don't have already, I can usually download it in seconds and at least play through the changes. I'd much rather have everything memorized but with my schedule it's just not always possible. I get it that there are some people who misuse the tablets (or even written charts for that matter) but sometimes they're used for a very good reason :)

For anyone who thinks that no one should use tablets or prompters in rock or any other pop genre of music, please let me be there when you tell that to Daryl Hall, Steven Tyler, or so many other popular performers.

oldrocker likes this.
  16. Surfers Guts

Surfers Guts

Dec 17, 2018
    I was talking to a bartender yrs ago...the management could care less if you stared at a music stand. It's music, if it sounds good, that's what's important. IMO the front guy ought to stand up and know the tunes by memory, if you have a personality type guy up front. But Mick Jagger was using a teleprompter 20+ years ago. A band with tablets on music stands might be pushing it though...but the times are changing. Frankly it's probably up to the patrons to decide if tablets are acceptable. IMO use the tools you need. BTW I can't stand this electronic poopie, most of it, and don't even carry a cell phone.

There's so many rock standards now I need notes, too. Here it is, it's 40 years later now lol. Used to be able to remember 40 songs for a night's gig...I don't know if I'd want to try and do that now without notes.

Signed,
    An Old Geezer

17. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I haven’t lost any gig due to my IPad....Speaking of which, anybody ever see a swing band? They are using music stands 4 pages wide... might be a good thing to carry a pick of a swing band to remind the BLs of this world what it used to look like....

18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    the rock bands i've seen that really grabbed me had at least two members deeply involved with the audience, and let me tell you, the audience responded. when i saw flotsam and jetsam in the late '90s, their bass player was at the front of the stage, getting people worked up with some great moves and playing - he was an equal front man, and he couldn't have done it that way had he had to keep referring to a paper, and ipad or his phone.

ThunderV likes this.
  19. have you considered that maybe the tablet had nothing to do with their decision? maybe someone else was better? maybe it was a personality thing?

20. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Same here. The most I ever brought with me would be a paper with the first word of every line in big print to jog my memory, but that would only be for the one song I had just learned. Once I was confident with it after one or two performances, the paper would go away.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.