1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tablet at audition

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glennreid, Feb 18, 2019.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yes, and the president's read their speeches off a teleprompter. But you can't tell.

2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    there is nothing more annoying that watching a band where the singer needs to read the lyrics. The bass player... well, nobody cares about the bass player.

JPaulGeddy, RichSnyder and oldrocker like this.
  3. glennreid

glennreid

Aug 14, 2017
    fort worth
    yeah i coulda sucked or been too slow or sang wrong..but i dont recall any of that ..

4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    even before i played bass, i cared about the bass player. my favorite bands had the bass player front and center and part of the show instead of some poor guy at the back right of the stage.

5. probably the personality thing. hahaha i’m just kidding (kinda). personality, likability, agreeableness are almost as important the playing. a lot of down time in bands. nobody wants to hang with a guy that’s too intense.

6. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    If u are auditioning for a band u must learn the music and not use cheat sheets. Unless that’s the kind of gig it is.

7. ThunderV

ThunderV Is getting yelled at by his cat!! Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Brunswick, OH
    My intention was not to attack anyone who uses notes/a tablet or whatever. I was just pointing out the perspective that someone who actually learns the songs and does not need the notes/tablet might appear to be more prepared during an audition.

8. There are definitely times where charts/tablets are okay. If you’re reading down the music and it’s a pickup gig, or you’re a fill in player with zero rehearsal time, etc. I mean, things* happens. The show must go on.

If it’s a steady band where the players don’t change, better to learn the music and to not need the music stands.

And for the love of all that is good, DON’T BE A VOCALIST READING OFF OF YOUR DAMN IPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Biggest pet peeve ever. Everyone needs to look at a lyric now and then, but don’t sit there holding your phone in hand.

*it changed the s word to poopie. That’s too cute. Lolol

9. Eh, some people never find out why they weren’t hired. But anyone asking for you to prepare three sets of music for a single audition is a bit of a red flag, so you’re probably better off.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I learn the music, so no tablet.

11. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    No tablets, no recorded tracks, everyone prepared and on-time, and no band BS....not much to ask

12. I've been playing in rock bands with people who use charts and tablets all through my career. My latest iteration of my band uses tablets. I have one near me for my iPad so I can control the PA, and the two guitarists use iPads to keep abreast of the arrangements. Most of the time they know how to interact with audience and keep from looking like their noses are buried in their iPads.

I agree however that it can be a crutch. I get my band members are busy with other things, but I'm also convinced they will never get the arrangements down because they use their iPads as a crutch and don't put in the real work to memorize the arrangements. This was especially true of a front man I worked with for many years - his anxiety did not allow him to go without his notes and lyrics, and he never really got anything down because he had to have his charts as a crutch.

13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Just watched a Ringo Star All-Star birthday celebration video. They were covering Beatles, and various member solo songs. Lots of charts visible on stage and teleprompter abound.

14. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    yeah, the same rules for big stars, especially ones who are aging and throw a band together for some extravaganza, don't apply to your average cover band

15. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I've started adapting to the tablet, mostly because it serves as a better set list than a piece of paper, and it's got my monitor mixing on it. I've not used it for notes on songs & whatnot, because I do enjoy exercising my memory still - it absolutely does become a crutch.

But especially at an audition, I would have no problems with someone bringing one. One of my favorite drummer auditions ever, guy brought a (paper) notebook and was annotating as we went. I appreciate that professionalism.

glennreid likes this.