1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tablet - Just Practice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RedsFan75, Aug 3, 2012.

1. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just got a new tablet, the Google Nexus 7. I posted this question in this forum because I want to use it mainly as a practice tool.

So I was looking through Google Play, and saw a few apps that I wanted to get some input on... They are rated, so I'll list the 'stars' from the site...

JustPractice - Malcolm Kavalsky - This app is a practice tool for musicions based on the premise "Plan your practice and practice your plan" 4.7*'s

Musician Diary - Marco Friedmann - An app which helps you to organize your musical repertoire and helps you to practice in an efficient way. 3.1*'s

Electrum Drum Machine/Sampler - niko twenty - A very high rated drum machine 4.4*'s

And I was looking for.... (pause to look for Jeff Berlin) a Metronome... Any suggestions

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these, used any of them? Also I'd be more than happy to take reccommendations on other app's etc to help me focus my practice time...

2. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
  3. Cycho

Cycho

Nov 30, 2010
    I use this:
    http://www.irealb.com/
    on my iPad. Highly recommended. My guitar player got one too and we swap songs all the time now! It claims to have an Android version.

4. LayDownABoogie

LayDownABoogie

Jan 3, 2012
    I have the android version..... Best thing ever it is... And they keep updating with more playback styles to choose from.. love it.

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    On my iPad I have "Tempo I" metronome by Frozen Ape. Pandora for jamming. And ForScore for all etude and fake books. With ForScore you can link songs in iTunes, so it would be possible to scan pages from Abersold books and link them to the tracks from the CD.

6. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Grabbed the Mobile Metronome this morning, thanks Samurai.

I'll check out the irealb, and Chuck, you're not the first person I heard say good things about ForScore. On another forum someone mentioned that the ForScore even had half page turns, so you could scan ahead.... Sounds pretty cool, wonder when they will have it out for Android?

What do you guys use to schedule and plan your practice/prep time?

7. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Are there any apps/samplers/drum machines/sequencers/whatever that can be controlled by a MIDI controller? I already have a MIDI to USB cable for my M13 and my Nexus and Xoom both are capable of USB hosting. But it doesn't look like that anyone has written an app that puts it all together yet. Or I just haven't looked hard enough.

I'd love to be able to trigger a few samples on my tablet or phone.

8. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not sure that I've seen anything along those lines...

Could be interesting though...

9. Hulktopus

Hulktopus

Aug 22, 2012
    Mansfield, TX

For planning, I use a good, old-fashioned notebook. I write down what I am planning to practice and what speed my metronome was at.
    I use my PlayBook as a metronome and ear trainer. I have several programs that help.

For example:
    "Pitch Perfect" is a program that generates a sound using a sine wave at a specific frequency (440Hz-A, etc). Use this for tuning, etc.
    "Ear Trainer" has two modes: one plays a note and gives 4 multiple choice answers from which to choose (guess the note). It also has an interval mode where two notes are played in succession and the interval must be chosen from the multiple choice (Major 2nd, Minor 2nd, etc.).

There are PLENTY of great programs out there, and the ones I mentioned are free. Good Luck!