Tablet PC's and Sheet Music Software

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by hdiddy, Feb 21, 2006.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Any of you guys mess around with this newfound technology yet? I just bought a new Toshiba R10 Tablet PC myself just about a week ago and I've been having a blast with it. It was time I upgraded to a new 'puter and through I might go for something fun and new fangled while I was at it.

It's pretty cool to be able to put the laptop in the Tablet mode and just pop it on top of a music stand. You use a pen to interact with the laptop instead of a mouse. So far I've only loaded Band-In-A-Box on it. Being the relative newbie that I am to the playing bass, it's really nice that I can drag it over to the practice studio, plug the headphone jack into the PA and plunk away.

I know there's a company that specifically sells this sorta thing as a music display program. But eventually I'm going to get to doing some recording (via PCIMIA card) soon.

The Tablet PC comes with some software that you can take notes in your own handwriting. Said software also has a sheet music template, which I've used and it seems to be a breeze to write out transcriptions using the stylus pen. But I'm in the market for some good music notation software now just to compare. Usability should be important and I've no experience with Sibelius - so any reccommendations will be highly appreciated. I know there are Sibelius threads in the past so I'll have to go back and read them all again.

This is a really neat experiment so I hope I can share some of my findings with y'all.
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh yeah... if you happened to be interested in this kind of thing, Wacom makes an attachment for regular screens too so you can turn any screen into a tablet.

Some of you should be smelling GAS by now. :D
  3. Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've thought about this prospect, but have not brought myself to pony up the cash. I have a real book in .PDF that would rock with this system. I also have a bunch of Orchestra Rep on CD-ROM, but turning pages might be difficult with that..

In my opinion, Finale is far better than Sibelius for notation software.
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Oh Christ....I wonder if my 12-year old budding tortured graphic artist daughter is hip to this yet.....:rollno: