1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tablet screen protectors to fight belt buckle rash?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spaz21387, Feb 3, 2016.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    So screen protectors are those clear film things that you use to stop scratches on your phone or tablet. I was wondering how well they would do when it comes to belt buckle rash? They dont leave any residue behind and I got a 5 pack for 3.50 shipped. So what does tb think?

Tbone76, MoeTown1986 and SpanishDave like this.
  2. I'm not being a smart ass here or meaning to insult anyone so apologies in advance to anyone who takes offense to my statement here, no offense is intended. Has anyone ever considered just turning your belt buckle onto your hip or some location other than right on the back side of your instrument? My 1980 MM Stingray has NO belt buckle rash and I gigged with it steadily for 15+ years and still gig with it occasionally (use my less expensive basses now mostly). I'm fairly new to this forum but I've gotta say I'm kinda shocked that there seems to be so many with issues concerning belt buckle rash.

Off-Beat, JIO, bobalu and 30 others like this.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    This!

4. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Yep. My belt is always attached over my hip.

JIO, JustForSport, Joedog and 2 others like this.
  5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I wouldn't think screen protectors would prevent denting the finish. You wouldn't scrape it, but I would think it would develop compression grooves.

Wait a minute, compression grooves might sound awesome in a tight mix.

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    That would actually be worse for me the studs on my belt would tear up the finish on the ric. My stingray has taken some good damage from my belt in just 2 years. ill post a pic tonight when i get home. I dont want the ric to suffer the same fate... also i dont like the idea of gluing a cloth guard thing to the back either.

7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I have used some static cling film that comes on many new basses, but it will only prevent light scratches and not heavy protection from a buckle. Something to consider though is a buckleless belt. I have been using one for a couple of years, and it is the greatest invention for guitarists and bassists. It doesn't SCREAM metal, but it does protect your instrument.
    Site Search Results

Snaxster and Nomogram like this.
  8. angst178

angst178

Oct 22, 2009
    I just buy pants that fit.

9. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Not trying to sound smart either just some thoughts. One option could be wearing a different belt but I know some are just too cool. I love me some bullet belts but anyway
    Maybe you can take a rag or an old long sleeve to put over your belt to help protect
    Another option would be wearing your bass higher. Just some thoughts

10. justin fleenor

justin fleenor

Oct 14, 2014
    I thought it was like washing your hands before you play. I have special clothes that fit without a belt for when I play lol

gebass6 likes this.
  11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

that does nothing for the WORST culprit, Pocket rivets on jeans

PFAC, xUptheIronsx and spaz21387 like this.
  12. /\/\3phist0

you risk the adhesive bond on the finish being stronger than the bond with the body wood.

so when you remove it you may remove more that just the film!

for that matter, you could get Rock guard's for cars
    Protect your vehicle's paint with Scotchgardâ„¢ Pro Series Paint Protection Film

here's a lifetime supply ! Amazon.com: 3M Scotchgard Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 6-by-48-inches: Automotive

13. /\/\3phist0

or wear it lower...
    CarlosDengler. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-OFIwYwliNSNjugFbfw8QAG9IbXiWQjJ7o_P7nilxVzqxNWJhVA. Sid%20Vicious(78-10-7)c300%20300.

14. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I dont think the glue would be that strong they peal off of your phone pretty easily.

bushbass likes this.
  15. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Don't wear a belt when you play bass.
    Wear pants that fit.
    No problem!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Being skinny makes that hard. I pretty much wear a belt all the time.

17. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    04056bad009dcae995002696d7f888b7.

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Works for me.

This product works well on the front of my basses:

Clear Pickguard Materials, Set of 4 | stewmac.com

Each sheet is the same size as legal pad and can be trimmed to size. Not sure what effect it will have on the finish if & when removed but, as suggested by fellow TBers, any residual adhesive can probably be removed with naptha...or was it napalm?

Riis

Nev375 likes this.
  19. OldPlucker

OldPlucker Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland
    Actually you may have something there. My phone, my iPad and my Apple watch all have more expense screen protectors (though the one on the watch is a challenge because of the beveled edge on the watch). I can attest to the screen protector's ability to protect, having dropped and or accidentally hit something. I intentionally scratched the protector and the next day the scratch was all but gone do to their self healing ability.

20. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I wear my basses & guitars high enough that the position doesn't change whether I'm sitting or standing. The back of the guitar comes no where near my belt buckle.

It helps having a bit of a gut too.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    xUptheIronsx and Dr. Cheese like this.