1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Taboo Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fingerguy, Nov 1, 2018.

1. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    If you were to get an electric guitar, and doing 90%-plus finger-picking, which guitar would you get?

Why is this taboo? Because it's a bass forum silly!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Tele all day long. Even if you don't play country that thing loves to be finger picked.

3. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I'd stick with my Strat--but then again, I play fingerstyle on it all the time.

Ekulati and HolmeBass like this.
  4. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    That's the direction I keep heading and on top of it being a 2x Fender owner would be a nice addition to my collection having a Fender (American Made) Stratocaster. My acoustics though are Taylor and that T5 is pretty sweet!!!

5. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

My favorite two I have owned have been a Strat #1 and a LP (close 2nd). Both respond well to finger style ( it's my preferred way to play guitar ). The best I've ever personally played was a Rick 660. It was wonderful.

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    What kind of fingerpicking? That could mean anything from Hot for Teacher to Chet Atkins.

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'd have to look into whether there are electric guitars with wider nuts. i hate fingerpicking guitar with a 1 11/16th inch nut.

i might consider one of these
    Jackson Mark Morton Pro Series Dominion - Ivory
    gorgeous AND a 1 3/4" nut!

or if i wasn't going to play it much in public, several traveler guitar guitars have 1 3/4" nuts, and one is same layout as my traveler TB-4P.

Low84 likes this.
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Pick one that isn’t noisy. You can set any good guitar up to play the way you want it to.

I love my LP.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Tele all the way.

10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I wouldn't get any, 'cause
    330 Ric 1.JPG DSCN0598.JPG I already have them. The '87 330 Rick is a jangle monster, played thru that old Rick TR-7 amp. And the Epi Sheraton II played thru the hot-rodded Gretsch Electromatic? Mmmm...sweet...;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Gizmot likes this.
  11. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    I prefer a Telecaster, but a Strat will work as long as the middle pickup doesn't get in your way. Depends on your picking style.

lz4005 and baTassi like this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Telecaster. I like the string spacing.

I have a Squier CV 60s.

Do most of my guitar playing in open G tuming.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  13. I guess (and, as always the are recording exceptions and different tastes) it all comes down as how percussive it sounds. And scale comes as an important factor on that.
    Ok, you can use thicker strings but the shorter the scale, the loosen the strings.
    That combined to the clarity that single coils have over other kinds of pickups make the fender style guitar usually better for finger picking.
    I like Strats over Teles in general but strictly for fp I would go Tele style all the way.
    But then again, it's a matter of tastes

14. 200808_guitartech_1.

Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Does Pikasso have six places to pluck or only five?" Well to tell you the truth viewing this exciting instrument I kinda lost track myself. But being this guitar was built for Pat Metheny by luthier Linda Manzer in 1984 and has 42 strings, making it the most pluckable guitar in the world and could cramp your plucking hand clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel plucky?"
    Well, do ya, punk?

15. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I dug up a godin multiac. It can do almost anything I want. Fun as... to play distorted metal on a nylon sting electric guitar freaks people out. Also kind of a kick to play strings or piano through the MIDI port.

Attached Files:

16. Depends how serious you are about guitar playing. I have an old beat up Squier "custom deluxe" Tele (the ones with two humbuckers and LP style V/T/V/T/3-way switch arrangement) and it does fine for what I need - which is just to record a chord track every now and then (so I can work on a bass line over the changes).

BUT I have to say, if I wanted to treat myself I'd probably look at those Ibanez arch tops...I think they call them the "artist" series? The ones with the rustic/distressed finish?

17. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    7FD7A286-DD1F-41D6-A100-A9CDE45FADEA.

My tele. Easy to play , easy to pick and nice variety of tones.

18. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I'd get a big old archtop. With a Bigsby.

But a Strat with 11s is also good for fingerpicking...

19. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    The only electric guitar I have ever lusted for is a Tele, and it's gotta be blonde with a maple neck. I don't play at all, but I'm often tempted to grab a $100 Squier off of Craigslist. tele.

saabfender likes this.
  20. rohi

rohi Lead Lined

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I have a G&L ASAT with Joe Barden pickups, into an Echoplex EP-3 through an Acoustic 165 (think Mesa MK1) and Leslie 125. I don't get to talk about that rig much, so I'll shoe horn it in here. It's all based off Danny Gatton's rig (minus the Magic Dingus-box, of course)

Back on topic, I think most bass players who want to play fingerpicking guitar would appreciate a classical nylon guitar. The string spacing is comfy. For an electric, I'm obviously a Tele dude.

P_Robyn and Low84 like this.