1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tabs and lyrics

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by bigboybubby, Mar 6, 2010.

1. bigboybubby

bigboybubby

Mar 6, 2010
    Australia
    Hi all - I am a newbie from Australia and whilst I played drums for many years, I decided to give the bass a go. I do not want to be good at it, I just want to be able to read a few good tabs and play along with my kids (21yo - Drummer, 18yo guitar and 14yo keyboard). I have got some tabs from the web and listen to the song and 99% of the time, I cant marry them up. My 18yo reads music and he can do it but his found a girlfriend now and is hard to pin down. I have found one tab which had the lyrics above the tab and that made it much better. Is there somewhere where I can get more tabs with the lyrics or is there any suggestions (ps I have only been playing for 2 weeks - 5 hours).
    My son told me about Bass Power Tab software but I cant find any tabs to use with it. I will get lessons but any help for now would be so much appreciated. Continued new message

2. bigboybubby

bigboybubby

Mar 6, 2010
    Australia
    I wanted to also say - there are hundreds of online tutorials for teaching the bass. Are these any good and if so which is the best one to subscribe to - Cheers and thanks
    Darreb

3. try ultimate guitar,songsterr,bassmasta,guitar/bass mag back issues,or list specific titles in the tab forum....if you read dots there's lots out there

4. If you're using Power Tab, they moved the tabs to http://www.tablibrary.com/index.php. HTH :)

5. http://studybass.com seems to be one of the better places for some all-round ideas

6. With tabs and standard notation you play what the songwriter had in mind for this song. Which is not all that bad.

But to mess around with the kids playing chord tones is a lot faster, and easier. Of course IMHO.
    http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/e/eric-clapton/123539.html

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/w...s/w/willie-nelson/blue-eyes-cryin-in-rain-crd

For your favorites, Google -- Guitar chords, "name of the song" the comma and the quote marks help.

Fake chord or lead sheet music will give the lyrics along with the chord name. You decide how much of the chord is to be played, i.e. root nothing works and is safe, but boring. Root - 5 (R-5) will play a bunch of bass and then specific chord tones like, R-3-5-3, R-b3-5-b3 get a little more musical. Musical may not be what is needed, what is needed is a groove and that ole root or root 5 does a pretty good job of laying down a groove. is a good newbie site. Start on the first screen and speed read till you need to slow down.

Good luck.

7. bigboybubby

bigboybubby

Mar 6, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Jim Campbell. But what are "Dots" _ Sorry!!

8. bigboybubby

bigboybubby

Mar 6, 2010
    Australia
    Hi Chupacabra, Thanks for your reply. i looked at this site and only could find guitar tabs that played on my Power Tab editor - Am I doing something wrong. Please be patient with me all. I am 47, recovering alcoholic (not so much on the recovering) with few brain cells left - cheers

9. bigboybubby

bigboybubby

Mar 6, 2010
    Australia
    Hi MalcolmAmos - from what I can see "chordie" is only for guitar, not bass. I am at a stage (very new) at needing to look at 4 parralell (cant even spell it) lines with 0,1,2,3,4 placed on it (Tabs) and some means of relating that to the song ie. the lyrics or something like Power Tab which plays the tabs for you. I would prefer just having the lyrics alighned with the tab so I can marry them together and play the song. EG Angie by Rolling stones - I have no hope knowing to do the bass tabs- Cheers

10. Rather than look at the text versions of the tab, register with the website & download the actual *.ptb files.
    In the Power Tab program, you can either press [F3] or click the bass cleff button on the tool bar. That will switch views to show the bass lines, provided they're included. Some tabs may only have guitar or some may only have bass. HTH :)

11. bigboybubby

bigboybubby

Mar 6, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Chupacabra - I tried what you said and yes it did work. The problem is that i can not find any ptb tabs at all - not even 1. Never mind my UK friend, thanks for your help. It is very much appreciated - Cheers

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020