1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tabs - anyone willing to explain?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by XIIIhour, Apr 5, 2006.

1. XIIIhour

XIIIhour

Apr 5, 2006
    Toronto
    I just purchased by first bass, and I was told to learn tabs, how to read them and all.

I looked up a few sites online, but I could only find guitar tabs and very poorly explained bass tabs, and I was a bit confused. I understand the dashed lines represent the strings, and that a 0 is open, but what does every other number represent?

Can anyone give the the jist of it?

2. All the other numbers represent which fret to press on the streing that's represented.

3. XIIIhour

XIIIhour

Apr 5, 2006
    Toronto
    Allright, :) that was what I had thought... but I wasn't sure.

4. I know that this isnt what was asked, and Ill probably be flamed for saying it, but I think it would be a verry good idea to learn standard notation in addition to/instead of tabs. I started with standard notation and greatly prefer it to tabs, which i only use when i cant find sheet music. It will give you a beter understanding of the music. I consider tabs to be a band-aid type thing. they give a quick fix, but it dosnt work verry well. I have nothing against people who use tabs but I dont think the world needs any more of them.

Disclamer:
    -entirely my opinion

5. XIIIhour

XIIIhour

Apr 5, 2006
    Toronto
    Yes, I do agree with you spudmaster, and I will be learning standard notation... as soon as i get lessons schedualed. Right now I'm on my own, and just want to mess around a bit.

Oh, and my band is going to be writing stuff out in tabs for me to work on... so at this moment in time, i need yo have an understand of tabs.

Definatly some good advice thought.