Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tabs are awesome!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I forgot to mention that while I was on my Christmas vacation, I had some time to kill and so I transcribed some tabs that I had brought with me to notation. The really cool thing about that, is that it really drives home a relationship between a location on your bass with it's corrisponding location on the staff.

I feel like I have come forward on my desire to read notation fluidly, and heartily recomend to translate notation and tablature back and forth if you are trying to learn to read. :)

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    When I started, that relationship between where the notes were on the bass, compared to the little black dot, was quite difficult to grasp. Fortunately I had a good teacher and a good book. Problem was, I found I was still limited. The ability to play the same notes at different positions on the neck was really difficult for me. It's not until I got a really great teacher that I learned to play in different positions that would make playing easier. Also, he really helped develop my open string techniques. (I had virtually ignored open strings. And I was trying to play a lot of Jamerson lines! Incredibly difficult songs to play without using open strings).

I wonder if there's any effective method to learn playing all over the neck other than a teacher.

3. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    remember once u have learnt a song using tab.Put that tab AWAY! and just play the best piece of advice when using tas is dont use them i.e.once u have learnt a song put them down. when u r playing the songs and it has a very repititive but 'tricky' verse tab,let your fingers guide you do not think too much about playing it. Very much like the force in Star Wars!

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks guys for your insight. :) I am definately trying to be done with the tablature. I am confident that this will come with better familiarity of the staff and my bass neck too.

But I must say, I really do believe that for a beginner learing to sight read on his own, this use of tablature is very helpful.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    When i was starting out, i didn't use notation or tab. I read chord charts and knew fingering paterns along with using passing tones and chromatic scales. Later i learned notation from knowing where the f is in the bass clef, and going from there. I didn't even know what tabs were until i joined talkbass.