Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tabs for lawson's 4string bass song and which one it is

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by nymph, Mar 16, 2001.

1. nymph

nymph

Mar 16, 2001
    Bucyrus Ohio
    this is a great cd(Steve Lawson "And nothing but the bass live @ the troubadour") every bass player should own it! Are you ever going to post tabs of your songs on Talkbass.com and what song did you use the 4-stringfretted bass on i need to know man this one would be the ideal for me to learn and I really need to learn bass skills more than anything else.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm really glad you like the album, thanks for the comments.

I've been meaning to transcribe some of the loops for a while now, and maybe post them as separate MP3s so that you can play over my loops. The melodies are largely improvised, so there's not that much point in writing out huge swathes of improv...

The tunes that were done on four string fretted are The Virtue Of The Small (except the solo at the end), The New Country (except the solo at the end), and Blue Sticks (all fretted).

Blue sticks is a fairly easy progression to get - it's A2 / F#sus4 (or F#min11 if you leave the A in) / Bmin7 / Esus - E7. for each chord I'll do the four notes, starting on the E string and going across, with an X is the string has no note (they are all around the 12th fret area)

X A E B (A2)
    F# X E B (F#7sus)
    X B D A (B min 7)
    E X D A (E7sus)
    E X D G# (E7)

hope that makes sense - the rhythm and picking pattern are up to you. I change it almost all the time... If you have a listen to the new real audio clip from the LA Bass Exchange that I've just added to my site, you'll hear that it goes into this tune at the end, but each chord is stretched out for twice as long, so the melody gets drawn out to fit and it takes on a whole different feel.

If you're writing a piece of music, always experiment with playing it at different tempos, stretching the time or halving it, changing from a straight feel to a swing feel - you may surprise yourself with what works best...

have fun

cheers

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. nymph

nymph

Mar 16, 2001
    Bucyrus Ohio
    thanks for the tips they really worked and I would advise anyone who doesn't have your cd to get one now they'll love it.