Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tabs, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by bluntman_bass, Jul 18, 2004.

1. good

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. bad

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    somebody i know thinks that tabs dont help players and they just make them lazy but i think that they help beginners a lot since they probably arent very good at picking it up by ear (yet), after learning songs on tabs for a while they would pry get used to it and they could pry learn them on their own and make up their own stuff, i know it worked for me. what do u think?

2. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Using tabs isn't a crime. Depending on tabs is another story. I don't like advocating the use of tabs for beginners because learning to read sheet music is a skill that is far more useful. If you start off using tabs it might become a crutch that you can't play without.

Playing by ear comes with time, regardless if you use tabs or not.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I think for about the first year using tab's OK, but you should eventually get away from it. IMHO to just be a competent bass player you have to develop a decent ear. Not necessarily recognizing notes themselves, but scale tones. It ain't gonna happen learning every song with tab. The only time I check tab is to see what tuning a band is in. :bassist:

4. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    and i agree, depending on tabs wont make u a good bass player, just a human jukebox, and u wont get an ear for playing just from tabs, that comes from experience, but u can sort of offspring your own stuff from certain songs or make something totaly up on your own and eventually u wont need tabs n e more, but they are great for beginners, and it is good to bo able to read sheet music

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    tabs are all i use.

6. That's because your such a skilled an awesome player. All the best use em.

7. You get your butt off to OT and start destroying threads!

8. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    i like tabs to and still use them from time to time when i dont feel like learning it by ear but u should really do something else than just use tabs, how long have u and tyler hole been playin?, cuz if u have been playing a long time u should be playing some of your own stuff or at least changing things u learned from tabs to add your own style, dont be a wuss, try and do something other than playing things from tabs, a trained monkey could use a tab, thats y they are great for beginers

9. I believe Jazzbo was being sarcastic...and I was on top of his. I've been playing about a year and a half and I rarely use tabs...only when I really feel like it.

10. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    sorry, forget what i said then

i wonder if i could put my foot any farther in my mouth

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Bleh,

The only problem I see w/ using tabs is, alot of times some hack slapped some incorrect lines together,, & it still winds up getting put out there wrong.

I've been sight reading bass clef since 6th grade. While I could ALWAYS use the practice, I'm often too cheap to go buy a book for something I can probably figure out myself.

12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

tabs should only be a last resort when you cant find the sheet music anywhere for free, and its really complicated. personally, i hate tabs. i use notes. well i was forced to in my jazz band, and now i thank that. it really helps to know what you are doing. no offense to those tab users but my music teacher calls tab users "press here dummies" because all they are doing is pressing where the tabs tell them where to press.

13. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    i agree with that, i dont like the fact that somebody that doesnt know what he is doing can put a tab on that is total bullflop, but most are very close to correct

14. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    but if u know how to read notes then thats kinda what they do to, tell u where to put your fingers, same if sombody in person shows u how to play something, tabs are just lazier

15. Jazzin'

but with notes, u know what you are doing. unless you know your notes, using tabs is just telling you where to press without you understanding anything that your doing.

16. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    but with experience u learn which frets sound good with others.

but i dont totally disagree with u, it is good to be able to read notes.

17. Jazzin'

its stupid to now know what you're playing and just do what sounds better or what other people tell press. everyone should learn notes, and scales, and chords. with that you can do so much more and understand if your playing in a major or minor key and stuff like that.

18. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    thats much more helpful for somebody in a band or somebody that plays a lot with other people, but just play bass as a hobby, a big hobby at that, but that stuff wouldnt help much for somebody like me

19. And notation isn't? Believe me I hate tab just as much as the rest of you...I sight read and only use tab as a last resort. But come on that was just ignorance