Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nvilla, Jan 16, 2002.

1. After reading all the threads on how tabs are bad I decided to try and learn song by ear. At first it was hard but now I find myself almost never using tab. I recommend everyone else who uses tab to try learning song by ear.
  2. Yes! I too used TAB, but now I never use them unless I really can't figure out a part. The program called Slow Blast is helpful in figuring out songs also...
  3. Is Slow Blast something I can download on my computer? Does it slow the song down?
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    remember the turtle: slow and steady wins the way

nvilla - good job! congrats, you're on a good path!
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I vehemently disagree. Tabs are critical to your development. Please reconsider and go back to tabs.

Wait - what's goingon? I'm not feeling well. My head hurts. So ... tired ... must ... rest ............................................................................................................................
  6. Yes on both accounts! Lets do a little search-a-roony.......ah here we go!
  7. afi_rules

Oct 6, 2001
    Herrin, IL
    does slow blast normaly cost money?
  8. Nope!

And don't thank me nvilla, thank my minature poundin' president.
  9. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I suck at working stuff out by ear...

I tried to work out deep inside by incubus and I could only work out the first note!!! I suck. So tabs are good. BTW does anyone know of the real way to play One Minute Silence - Rise And Shine?
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I think your logic needs at least as much work as your ear training skills. Do you have a teacher?

Congratulations! You're on the path that leads to knowledge. Keep it up.
  11. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    No. My parents refuse to pay for a teacher because when I was 11 I gave up saxophone after a term because it sucked and my teacher had a hairy neck. Now they think I'm gonna drop bass the same way even though I've been trying to teach myself for a year and a bit. :(

Also my logic does seem a bit fubar in that post. Sorry.

My ears just don't seem good at stuff like that. If I hear a series of notes I honestly find it hard to tell whether they are higher or lower than the previous note. I know when stuff sounds wrong but I can't seem to tell when it is right...
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

If you figured out the first note, you made progress! Revel in your accomplishment, and then learn the second note. I'll make you a promise - it will get easier.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
  13. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    A step into the tab car!!! But that's too easy...

Must resist tablature...Unable to normal...rate.

OK, gotta try it.

14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I can't tell you just how true this is. Just figure out that one note! It really is such a huge accomplishment. I couldn't even do that for a long time. Then, just take it slowly, and figure out one more. If you do this consistently, it will get easier and easier.
  15. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    My parents let me take lessons,but im kinda in the same situation as you.I tend to go through alot of 2-year phases.Here they are...

First it was bikes4-6
    Then rollerblades6-8
    Cars 8-10
    Skateboarding 11-up to now but im losing interest
    Bass-I know im gonna be playing bass for a long long time,ya know why?If you see everything I said up there,all of them,some people learn very quickly and some learn slowly(well except cars) but for example for skateboarding.Ive been skating for 2 years,and im not too good.Well some people have been skating for 2 years,and are already making their way up to the amateurs, but with bass,everyone progresses at the same rate!And not many people have a gift for it,they usually just get better as they go along.Also with bass,you can play with other musicans(ie guitars,drummers,and other bassists!)

Well since my parents think im just gonna stop in a year,whenever i mention i wanna get a fender,theyre like "No,you just gotta bass!" but i got a bass a year and 2 months ago.I think Will Smith puts it best....

"parents just dont understand"
  16. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Yes it does. $20 for the full version.
  17. Didn't notice that...I got mine bootlegged from bearshare...
  18. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

I have you scheduled for a head CT next week. Until then hit yourself in the foot with a hammer when you get these unnatural urges.

Mike:D :D :p
  19. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    [Homer voice] Mmmmmmm Bootleg.........