Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tabs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by majorasskicker, Mar 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorasskicker

majorasskicker

Feb 28, 2002
    Chicago
    Why is it that some all time great hits such as Hush, Won't Get Fooled Again, Woman From Tokyo, and such are not being tabbed? I have not been playing long and tabs are the only way I can learn songs. Does this outrage anyone else?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nope.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Nope. I'm pretty cool with it too.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm not outraged either. ...or mad, or the slightest bit angered.

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i'm livid. i've since given up bass because there just aren't enough tabs around for my favourite songs! you should too. the triangle kicks major arse :)

6. im unbelievably outraged over this!

;)

7. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Im not sure but i think there is still a holy war going on about tabs...so far its at like 7 pages....you should check it out!:D :rolleyes:

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i doesn't bother me at all

tabs = evil

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm totally outraged.

in fact, the thing that has me hoppin' mad is why have they stopped development on the "plays itself" bass?!??

gibson was working on a bass guitar that would download tabs off of the internet and play them - it had a built in rj11 connection and a dsl modem/router. all one would have to do would be to put it on and pogo. i hear they were using the thunderbird body style.

i mean, do they expect someone to actually have to _learn_ how to play an instrument? that could take years!!!

:rolleyes:

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No, I'm cool with it.

Here's a suggestion MINORBOOTYPICKER, if you really want them tabed - tab 'em yourself.:rolleyes:

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Talk about outraged I invested in that little project and was told I would get a proto type in a few weeks. I didn't even get a note(HA HA) saying they had stopped working on it. Sounds like another great American Hoax/Ripoff. Man I hate when that happens. Good thing I still have my programable keyboard. I can play a song through a board I designed and it will create a keyboard piece for the song and store it. Then I get my band mates to learn the song, come back in a few days and we play it. I just hit the start and stop button,(unbeknownst to them), and play "air keyboard" and everyone thinks I am awesome!!:eek: I don't know an F# from a Gb. I was so looking forward to kicking butt on bass too:rolleyes:

12. majorasskicker said...

I have not been playing long and tabs are the only way I can learn songs.

You are absolutely correct, asskicker - if you believe tabs are the only way you can learn songs it will be the only way you can learn songs.

I'm thinking seriously about going back to school to learn some music theory. I figure I can squeeze a couple evening classes in.

Does this outrage anyone else?

Not in the least. IMO tabs are a pretty good alternative to acquiring knowledge honestly.

allan

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Geez, you guys, give the poor kid a break....if you had been raised in the InStAnT gRaTiFiCaTiOn generation, you'd be asking the same questions. You guys are just a bunch of big ol' meanies. :mad:

COLONELDONKEYSTOMP,

Here, I'll help you out on "My Woman From Tokyo" - You just find the low G on your bass (4th string, 3rd fret), and squat on it like this:

DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN....

for about five minutes. See? It's not so hard. And don't pay any attention to those TaBeViL guys, they're just a bunch of grumpy old men who like 2 pick on people 4 no reason because they're mean. :rolleyes:

14. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    it kinda bothers me i wanted to get tabs for the whispers "And the Beat Goes on" its kinda an old song for anyone who never heard of it but the bass is waesome, i think its the same bass line as Miami by will smith, it agrivates me a little but learning without tabs i think is the way to go.

15. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Leave it to you to screw up another tab:rolleyes:

That would be:
    DUN, DUNN,DUNDUNN,DUN,DUN,DUN, DUNN,DUNDUNN,DUN,DUN.
    You left the accents out:eek:

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Doh! My bad. :(

17. rhcp17 said...

it kinda bothers me i wanted to get tabs for the whispers "And the Beat Goes on" its kinda an old song for anyone who never heard of it but the bass is waesome, i think its the same bass line as Miami by will smith, it agrivates me a little but learning without tabs i think is the way to go.

There's a lot of satisfaction in working hard and doing a job well. Sometimes learning stuff is supposed to be hard - that's what makes it worth knowing.

I do think you should get a round of applause for trying to work it out on your own. Tabs might make learning a song easier, but I think they cheat the musician in the long run.

allan

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey, you didn't read the tab right! :mad: There is a fill too. It goes like this:

DUN-DUN-DUN- DUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUN

and then repeat.

You can thank me later. :p

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Oh, man! I remembered the fill but forgot the accent.

Hey, wait a minute! :mad: How come the accent isn't showing on my tab.

who wrote this shanola???

Let me see your tab. Oh, wait... How come your tab is so different from my tab? Let's find another one ... Hmm... this one is different too...:confused:

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Suggestion:

Use SLOWBLAST in place of tab. It's a neat tool that is able to slow down a song without changing its pitch. Do a search for it on http://www.yahoo.com . It's really cool!

Then you can learn those songs yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.